wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead sheeting has been found on wrecks dating back to the 3rd century BC. However, it was not until the early 1500's that it was commonly used by ships that spent a lot of time in the warm Caribbean waters.
Spanish 1520
Portuguese 1580
English 1760
Dutch 1780
French 1780
It was not until the late 1700's early 1800's the sea fairing nations started using Copper sheeting.
This is a picture of lead sheeting I discovered on an early 1800's wreck off the Florida coast several years ago.

Q

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Wreckdiver1715,
I yield to an expert. My information came from the Treasure Diver's guide by Potter, I quess he was wrong and I stand corrected.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Negative old man, Potter had it correct. Check Potters book out on page 61- 62 of the revised edition. You looked up lead sheeting in the index, and the only reference in the index is relating to lead sheeting used in store rooms. So you could say that Potter was wrong in that he did not properly document all of the Index and cross references. At least he added an index, more than I can say for some authors of that day.

Q

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Evidence of lead sheeting was found among the remains of the 1576 wreck of the Manila Galleon San Felipe, which were recently found on the coast of Baja California.

Mariner

99*

They lined the biscuit room with lead, to keep the rats out and the powder room to save from heat/fire and you guess. I like Wreckdivers post,also OldCharter, seems like you are busy, very busy. I will enjoy seeing your site develop with your future success,99*

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• MVC-012E.JPG
    MVC-012E.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 994

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
I'd be guessing but it could be lead guttering between the deck and gunnels. The Spanish put down pitch then tacked the lead in place. They often had animals and passengers on deck and it was useful to keep the crap from getting in the corners when they washed down the deck.

Doc

Do you think that is why my piece is U-shaped? I can not bend it flat without breaking.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My piece is not 90 degrees. Here is better pics. It broke in half when I tried to bend.

Attachments

• MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 915
  • MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 919

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
After I removed the coral, and 2 weeks of electrolysis didn't improve much, I removed from water and it turned white. A drop of Potassium/nitric acid solution turned yellow. I don't know test color for pewter. I assumed it to be sheathing. I found at known 1715 shipwreck site.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diving doc; thanks for the link to your site, I enjoyed the reading and outstanding pictures - very informative. I look forward to updates as the season gets underway.

Happy hunting

Q

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Diving doc

I do not recall seeing a link to your site, but would appreciate it if you would (re)post it as you seem to be extremely knowledgeable, and I would be interested in understanding more about your work.

Mariner

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
Hey ya'll, Does anyone think that maybe the pieces BCH has could be bent for use as/in scuppers? Just an idea

Take care, fldiver

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fldiver said:
Hey ya'll, Does anyone think that maybe the pieces BCH has could be bent for use as/in scuppers? Just an idea

Take care, fldiver

Maybe. I really don't have any use for this metal. It washed up on Rio Mar beach after hurricane Wilma along with some large tar covered timbers. If I get a chance, I will give it to the museum. They may have some interest in it. I don't really want it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread