What's new

Lead toy soldier. Collectors, I need help!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
1,027
Reaction score
206
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

I recently found this lead soldier on the 8th. I am having trouble finding out how old and who made it. I don't think its after WWI cause he isn't wearing a helmet. But I could be wrong and usually am. I am hoping someone else has seen or found one, even someone who collects them. I have looked everywhere and cannot find one like it. Especially with the 6 sided base that it has. Any help would be greatly appreciated... GH
 

Attachments

  • IMG00559-20110518-1721.webp
    IMG00559-20110518-1721.webp
    116 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG00560-20110518-1721.webp
    IMG00560-20110518-1721.webp
    109.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG00561-20110518-1721.webp
    IMG00561-20110518-1721.webp
    81.3 KB · Views: 368
Re: Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

Hey GH, I hope you don't mind, but I resized your pic. He looks either like a German WW2 soldier or a Canadian Mountie with the brim broken off of his hat, but it's hard to tell from just one pic. I think these are your guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-lead-toy-sold...587354910?pt=Toy_Soldiers&hash=item2563c0931e
Is anything embossed on the bottom of the base or the side of his arm? You may want to Google: Barclay & Britains. Nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • LeadSoldier.webp
    LeadSoldier.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 355
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Re: Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

Breezie said:
Hey GH, I hope you don't mind, but I resized your pic. Is anything written on the bottom of the base? You may want to Google: Barclay. Nice find, Breezie
no problem. This nothing on the base, I did some research I don't think its british cause the base is six sided. And none of the barclays I looked at look even close. The hat and the balloned out trousers(riding pants?) is what I can't figure out .
 
Upvote 0
Re: Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

Gonehunting said:
Breezie said:
Hey GH, I hope you don't mind, but I resized your pic. Is anything written on the bottom of the base? You may want to Google: Barclay. Nice find, Breezie
no problem. This nothing on the base, I did some research I don't think its british cause the base is six sided. And none of the barclays I looked at look even close. The hat and the balloned out trousers(riding pants?) is what I can't figure out .

The reason I thought he was a Can. Mountie is because he is wearing jodhpurs and riding boots, of course so did Germans during WWII.
 

Attachments

  • mountedPolice.webp
    mountedPolice.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 488
Upvote 0
Re: Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

Breezie said:
Gonehunting said:
Breezie said:
Hey GH, I hope you don't mind, but I resized your pic. Is anything written on the bottom of the base? You may want to Google: Barclay. Nice find, Breezie
no problem. This nothing on the base, I did some research I don't think its british cause the base is six sided. And none of the barclays I looked at look even close. The hat and the balloned out trousers(riding pants?) is what I can't figure out .

The reason I thought he was a Can. Mountie is because he is wearing jodhpurs and riding boots, of course so did Germans during WWII.
both could be, but that stinkin hat is not matching anything except CW and post CW/pre WWI. All the WWI toys I saw had helmets. I'm wondering if its just a peacetime soldier. I don't know it's driving me nuts. Lol also the other lead soldiers are smaller than this one. And he doesn't have the excess trimmed like all the others.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Lead toy soldier. Collector's, I need help!

Looks like a WW1 depiction to me, modern rifle of the time and the Brit's wore the baggy trouser look too. Britain had a lot of colonial troops. Indians, Afghans,Nepalese Gurkhas and yes, canadians. It's possibly wearing a tight wrapped turban (India), or the "pancake" type hat worn by Afghans or as Breezie said, a piece may have broken off.
Awkward one really.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom