Leads?

Mar 20, 2023
Hey everybody! My name is Christian and I am a history major currently living around Charlotte and going to college in Wilmington. I am from Florida originally and have always wanted to be a treasure hunter. I know everyone generally keeps leads to themselves, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give a rookie like myself some leads in the Charlotte and Coastal North Carolina areas that I could start out with? It would be great help.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everybody! My name is Christian and I am a history major currently living around Charlotte and going to college in Wilmington. I am from Florida originally and have always wanted to be a treasure hunter. I know everyone generally keeps leads to themselves, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give a rookie like myself some leads in the Charlotte and Coastal North Carolina areas that I could start out with? It would be great help.
Well you have the learnings, majoring in history. So you have a good base to start off with.
Time to hit the research books.
Ya I know that's not what you want to hear was it.😁
Welcome to the forum, there's a wealth of knowledge posted already.
I'm not sure if someone will be able to put a X on a map for you.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Well you have the learnings, majoring in history. So you have a good base to start off with.
I have found sandborn maps indespensable. Free online (library of congress). They have led me to some great finds (although not even comparable to a lot of the amazing finds posted on this site lol). Happy hunting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found sandborn maps indespensable. Free online (library of congress). They have led me to some great finds (although not even comparable to a lot of the amazing finds posted on this site lol). Happy hunting.
Up here I use the historical map atlas. Ontario is digitized by McGill and is online.
I can map out a site, get permission, walk out to the exact location.

OP
OP
Christian Cape Fear NC
Mar 20, 2023
No I got that much lol its just what to research that Im having trouble with. I know of a couple rumors that don't seem credible and of the El Salvador wreck, and i already found some spots to go look at but I realized that with the wreck being 30ft under the sand I would need to be older with more resources to go after it. The research is actually my favorite part of the process, I just cant find what to research lmao.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the group.
I always start with old newspaper archives in the area, the older the better. Just start looking and things that interest you will start to "jump out" Then you have a starting point for your research. Best of luck both in your hunting as well as in your career.

OP
OP
Christian Cape Fear NC
Mar 20, 2023
Welcome to the group.
I always start with old newspaper archives in the area, the older the better. Just start looking and things that interest you will start to "jump out" Then you have a starting point for your research. Best of luck both in your hunting as well as in your career.
Thats great advice. Thankyou!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread