CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Deus earlier this year and used it a few times then shelved it in favor of my equinox which I'm comfortable with.
I primarily hunt ghost town or old cabin sites with a lot of rusty square nails.
These sites are hard to hunt with machine gun iron under the coil and I'm struggling with the Deus and what it's telling me.
It's my goal this winter to understand the sounds and the programs better.

Am I going about learning how to use the Deus wrong by trying to learn on hard to hunt sites?

What program do you guys like in machine gun iron?

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in luck... there are several great videos on that subject. Here's a good one I just watched today: comparing programs in which Gary explains which programs and settings he likes in a a heavy iron environment and why.

Search YouTube for "Deus heavy iron" or something like that and you'll find plenty of information.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned mine in heavy iron... If you hunt heavy iron all the time then IMO that is the place to learn it. I remember wanting to throw mine in the woods... Then after about 30 hrs on it something started to click...I remember the ah ha moment... Whatever you do pick a tone setting and learn it there and dont be changing it back and forth...

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought my Deus earlier this year and used it a few times then shelved it in favor of my equinox which I'm comfortable with.
I primarily hunt ghost town or old cabin sites with a lot of rusty square nails.
These sites are hard to hunt with machine gun iron under the coil and I'm struggling with the Deus and what it's telling me.

Am I going about learning how to use the Deus wrong by trying to learn on hard to hunt sites?

Go on to you tube and look at Calabash's videos with his pitch program. Great for machine gun fire iron. It will punch through the iron. There are 2 videos to the pitch, from calabash. I recently started using it, when I started hunting around homes. Fact, just yesterday I used it and found more coins than I had using full tones hot program, number 9,, which I really like over the Equinox tones.(which I find very dull. 50 tone drives me crazy, but i am putting time on it. ) I do run the XP Deus and Equi 600. Great compliment to each other. Be careful running to much iron bias with the Equinox. You may end up with a nice quiet hunt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hunting these type of sites can be challenging no matter what program. But tweeting out a few keepers is rewarding and it definitely increases one skill set on the machine.
Early on I started to use the X/Y screen instead of the horseshoe.
That and other programs suggested like the pitch has help sneak a few more targets out.

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a local vacant lot that is a mix of square nails and modern trash. I've hit it with my equinox a ton of times. I pulled out a handful of pennies tonight using Gary's sifter program.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I learn my detectors on my own property which had a blacksmith's shop in the backyard in the mid to late 1800s. It's heavily iron laden. Even though I've detected this property with multiple machines over the years I was able to find a surprising amount of coins and artifacts with the Deus as I was learning the preset programs. Then after experimenting with Gary's custom programs I was able to find even more coins, a WW1 US navy medal and a 19th century French Napoleonic medal. I had thought my property was emptied of anything worthwhile years ago.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if I already posted this, but in trashy areas I bump up the Reactivity and found gold. When I lowered the Reactivity to get more depth, didn't get anything--other detectors already got it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread