East central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
WEll.... I’m headed back to Florida soon.
Gonna start in Lee county.
I’m having trouble finding the metal detecting ordinances. I want to do it by the book.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe you now the ordinance number I’m looking for?
Thanks

I am no lawyer, but did find this...see page 23 section 10.13 https://www.leegov.com/bocc/Ordinances/06-26.pdf

And then there is our State's Official vistor website addressing metal detecting:
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/florida-beaches/florida-treasure-hunt-east-coast-shoreline-treasures.html

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cleaned out all the old private lawn permissions in town, so beaches are your best bet.
No limits anywhere, except Lovers Key, no water hunting there.
If you want to stay in town, schools will be a no, parks ok, just stay off playing fields.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I cleaned out all the old private lawn permissions in town, so beaches are your best bet.
No limits anywhere, except Lovers Key, no water hunting there.
If you want to stay in town, schools will be a no, parks ok, just stay off playing fields.

I have never tried, but curious as to how you approached private property permission? I was going to write to the address listed under my Counties Property appraiser where areas aren't occupied and known homestead areas or interests of other artifacts etc.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each permission was different, but the one thing that was common?..... I never knocked on doors.
I’d drive around town, drool over the potential yards, and wait. Sometimes it happened quick, or maybe weeks, and in some cases, years.
But once I saw them working in their yard, washing the car, whatever....if they were outside, it was on.
People can’t hide behind the door, or act defensive and unsure when casually approached.
I’d initiate the conversation with a compliment to their yard, property, and then the house. What year was it built?
Always they would offer a few minutes history of what they know, at that point they are putty.
Then I introduce myself as the neighborhood treasure hunter, and my hobby is finding old wheat pennies and buffalo nickels....
That’s the trick. You want to minimize what you expect to find, but make it a big deal. Most people don’t give a damn about pennies and nickels, and almost always give permission.
Avoid saying the words “silver, gold, or rings”, you don’t want them thinking they should hunt it themselves.

If you get the feeling that they want or deserve something from you.... offer them keys, locks, doggy tags...anything you are ok to part with, they will love it.
Keep your head on a swivel while you are at it....the neighbor is watching, and their dirt is old too.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Each permission was different, but the one thing that was common?..... I never knocked on doors.
I’d drive around town, drool over the potential yards, and wait. Sometimes it happened quick, or maybe weeks, and in some cases, years.
But once I saw them working in their yard, washing the car, whatever....if they were outside, it was on.
People can’t hide behind the door, or act defensive and unsure when casually approached.
I’d initiate the conversation with a compliment to their yard, property, and then the house. What year was it built?
Always they would offer a few minutes history of what they know, at that point they are putty.
Then I introduce myself as the neighborhood treasure hunter, and my hobby is finding old wheat pennies and buffalo nickels....
That’s the trick. You want to minimize what you expect to find, but make it a big deal. Most people don’t give a damn about pennies and nickels, and almost always give permission.
Avoid saying the words “silver, gold, or rings”, you don’t want them thinking they should hunt it themselves.

If you get the feeling that they want or deserve something from you.... offer them keys, locks, doggy tags...anything you are ok to part with, they will love it.
Keep your head on a swivel while you are at it....the neighbor is watching, and their dirt is old too.

Excellent points and tips! Yeah, "I am looking for that buried gold" probably won't go over too well lol. Just looking old pennies etc is a perfect approach and great advice! I don't think I would be good at the approaching part as I am more the "writing" type and to the point kind of talker, I am horrible at small talk with strangers that I know nothing about or may have nothing in common.

But great points and you have a solid approach.

OP
OP
N

Navyman

Dec 7, 2019
East central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info...
Not a restrictive as I thought.
Gonna be around pine island in a few weeks.
I’m also looking for a place to purchase a detector near Ft. Myers area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread