What's new

leg bands

Pepper06

Full Member
Joined
May 9, 2017
Messages
101
Reaction score
291
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing that I would like to find some day is a leg band from a duck or goose. Has anybody ever found one?
 
I did once in Kansas...pretty cool because there is a govt. website you can go on, report them and track them back to the bird they were on.
I think they will even send you a printed certificate in the mail if you ask for it.
These are very collectable, check them out on eBay...The older the better.
Hunters love when they bag birds that have them them and many are used in bird calls and other hunting products.
One of the neater things I have dug up.

Mine was older from 1988 and manage to fly 700 miles from where he was banded to where I found it in a little stretch of woods next to a park.
 

Attachments

  • photostudio_1503137204539.webp
    photostudio_1503137204539.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 92
  • photostudio_1503137264053.webp
    photostudio_1503137264053.webp
    119 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Yes, in coastal NC and the band was from Maryland.
 
Found a tiny band in NW CT this April. Rec'd this info from USGS and a certificate of appreciation.

Bander:DR MITCHELL A BYRD
3000 EARLS COURT
WILLIAMSBURG VA 23185-3873
Species: COOPER'S HAWK (Male)
Age of Bird: HATCHED IN 1989
Location: KIPTOPEKE, VIRGINIA, USA (COORDINATES: LAT: 37.08333; LON: -75.91667 )
Banded on 10/8/89 Recovered April 2017

HH
dts
 
Yes, I found a ton of chicken bands (one with a leg bone in it lol) and a couple wild bird or parrot bands. They are cool finds, good luck! The woods is a good place to find them.
 
i usually find them from pigeons and long thin aluminum ones that i believe are from chickens and ducks, a goose band would be cool. One day!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom