Leg six... Roanoke Rapids, Weldon, Halifax, NC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the afternoon of the 18th, PeteyGirl and I arrived at Roanoke Rapids. NC I lived here from '91 to 2000. I will make this a longer post as we have MUCH historical material to cover. We arrived too late to visit but HAD to go to RALPH'S BBQ. EVERYBODY in the neighborhood eats at Ralph's.
PG and I met my ex and her brother-in-law, Eddie Warren on the morning of the 19th. It was a short but nice visit. Tnx. Eddie's dad was the Halifax county Sheriff when I lived in RR. I then showed PG Roanoke Rapids. You may not remember RR, but you older people will remember the movie "Norma Rae" starring Sally Fields.

This is the J P Stevens textile mill where Norma unionized the textile workers... right here in RR!
Water.JPG J P Stevens.JPG It is no longer in operation. RR is becoming a ghost town now.

At the east end of town is a barge canal that allowed commerce to circumvent the rapids on the river. In the lock(s) is a replica barge.
Canal barge.JPG Canal.JPG

They stuffed and hung a fish on the building that I caught in the canal!
Fish.JPG (He he!)

DSC00865.JPGDSC00866.JPGDSC00867.JPG

I detected these locks before it turned into a museum and found a few old coins but nothing significant. On to Weldon!

Weldon was a very important railroad hub before, during, and after the Civil War.
R R.JPG

In the '90s somewhere, 3 Civil War muskets were found under the wooden platform of this Weldon station. It was posted in the local paper.
Weldon.JPG (a mural on a local building of this same station... date unknown DSC00863.JPG)

Now, on to Halifax!
DSC00892.JPG

Halifax was a recruiting center for both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Here are a few of the places PeteyGirl and I visited.
Corn.JPG Back in the '90s, I was shown a building foundation that had a "6 pounder" cannonball stuck in it. The foundation no longer exists.

Wash.JPG

This Market square would make ANY detectorist salivate!
Market Square.JPG

A few more places...
Davie House.JPG Davie Placard.JPG

Eagle Tavern.JPG Eagle Placard.JPG

And... THE JAIL!
Jail.JPG

LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!
Lock her up.JPG

LOCKED ME UP LOCKED ME UP!
Locked him up..JPG

OK. After Halifax, we scooted back to Tucson, stopping in Brunswick GA, Breaux Bridge LA, Katy TX, Fort Stockton TX (we took pics here for those interested) and Deming NM. To Tucson. We logged 5600 miles! Spent 1500 JUST ON GAS and loved going on this adventure! Thank you for following! TTC

Thanks for the updates throughout your road trip. I had a good time, enjoyed the pics and narrative. As a former lawman, how'd it feel on the other side of those bars?

SCARY! Not really. The cell was open to the public.
DSC00934.JPG

Also in the historic district of Halifax was a building that, among other things, auctioned slaves.
DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG (difficult to read but maybe an internet search will reveal the building's history)

Here's a little more of Weldon.
cemetery 1.JPG Pvt.JPG 100.JPG

The cemetery is in a "depressed" area of Weldon and the locals probably have desecrated the site. The Daughters of the Confederacy have probably removed those headstones that were not broken or stolen.
100.JPG TTC

Fun stuff. Where ya headed next?

Fun stuff. Where ya headed next?
MEXICO! Yes. After I lay a new floor in the Scamp, we will cross at Nogales. Wait in line for hours, get the passports stamped, motor in for ten minutes, then wait in line for hours to get OUT. My 2013 Jeep would be a PRIZE to steal so we have no intentions of allowing that. Just want the "bubble" to go international. TTC

Great photos! :occasion14:

Awesome trip. Terry & Petey Girl! I enjoyed everything! I am glad it was a safe journey for you.
Thanks again for taking us along! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back