SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are yours legally, full stop. The only person you have to tell is the value to the IRS so they can tax you on it, which you may want to talk to tax service and see when you have to report it and how. Such as before or after you sell them, can't remember where and how the tax man steps in off the top of my head.
Great advise! I would really like to know a bit more about these coins without the OP giving too much info away.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advise! I would really like to know a bit more about these coins without the OP giving too much info away.
My love of old coins has me wondering as well. Silver? gold? eagles? Seated? bust? spanish?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why does anyone need to even know?
well if you are fine with the repercussions if ever audited or found out through many other means(many that pop up with the selling of coins this expensive)....then I guess no one has to know. But I guarantee you lose more than you gained by not reporting the income to the IRS if found out. They are hungry for money right now as well......sooo people can do what they please. I would suggest with large finds that are worth thousands of dollars(as claimed) that you just report it and take the tax hit on it, then walk away with the free money knowing you will not looking over your shoulder for years.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the article this is about a contractor trying to keep coins they found on someone else's property, so its completely irrelevant to this situation. If you buy a property and find anything of value on it, the previous owners have no legal standing to claim it. OP needs to understand these coins are his, the only person with any claim would be the tax man.

Wrong. The article is a little confusing, but in the end, the homeowner got nothing. Read it again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send them to me and I’ll look into it for you, free!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong. The article is a little confusing, but in the end, the homeowner got nothing. Read it again.
the article still does not apply here because there is no claim by the original owner of the coins(or as in the article the owners children). These coins belong to the current owner of the house in this case. If you bothered to look up the laws it specifically designates this need for a claim of ownership. With out this claim OP is in the clear and can claim and sell the coins. His only worry is to make sure to pay those taxes on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts deleted

Please remember our rules on politics.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the article still does not apply here because there is no claim by the original owner of the coins(or as in the article the owners children). These coins belong to the current owner of the house in this case. If you bothered to look up the laws it specifically designates this need for a claim of ownership. With out this claim OP is in the clear and can claim and sell the coins. His only worry is to make sure to pay those taxes on it.

My point was if this person makes this find public, the previous owners can make a claim to it, if they get wind of it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSSHHHHHHHHHHH !! Very smartly we have herd nothing more from the OP !! @IZMIZ read all the replies, only lurk and surf the posts. My advice is say no more, and absolutely don't post pics of anything that someone might get jealous about if recognized.....why even give someone a reason to hire an attorney and come after you.....sell your coins if you please....im sure you will remember that those coins were given to you by your grand pop 😉 right !!✔️

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years back I recall a member who made a huge find such as this one and just vanished into thin air. It seems like it was gold bullion that he found. Only much later did he pop back in and give an update that he had slowly liquidated his find and retired. He was no longer living in the US, if I remember right. There should be a way of looking through past topics to check but I believe he did it all on his own with no lawyers, police, IRS or even friends and relatives involved. But his find was in seven figures.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why does anyone need to even know?
As I've said many times over the yea
My point was if this person makes this find public, the previous owners can make a claim to it, if they get win

Many years back I recall a member who made a huge find such as this one and just vanished into thin air. It seems like it was gold bullion that he found. Only much later did he pop back in and give an update that he had slowly liquidated his find and retired. He was no longer living in the US, if I remember right. There should be a way of looking through past topics to check but I believe he did it all on his own with no lawyers, police, IRS or even friends and relatives involved. But his find was in seven figures.
I've said it over the years many times here. My words to live by.

Dig it up,
Put it up,
SHUT UP!
Out of a hundred or so stories you'll only find a couple where the finder ended up with anything. One couple found a cache of gold coins, and after the dust cleared & everyone took a share the IRS came knocking to claim a share of the one coin the family so graciously gave the couple😅. I don't recall if the coin even covered their legal fees. There's another later similar story, same outcome.

DIG IT UP
PUT IT UP
SHUT UP!

OP
OP
I

IZMIZ

Greenie
Nov 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys all the information is super valuable.
I will share some pictures of items I dont think anyone can claim theirs and I will keep you guys posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread