Legitimate war nickel?

I have never read about a war nickel made without the mintmark. Snagged this from a bag this afternoon: thought?
View attachment 2119582
unfortunately probably a counterfeit (from the redbook 2023 edition)
20231210_151121.jpg

Reactions: ARC
There are no known mint error 1944 nickels lacking a mintmark. No one is quite sure why he did it, but Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, N.J., was responsible for your fake “Henning nickel.” Henning produced his own 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953 nickels. There is a low spot or void at the “R” in “Pluribus” on most of his fakes. His coins weigh 5.4 grams while genuine nickels weigh 5.0 grams.
Don in SoCal
PS: Don't sell it for less than $100; it has historic value.

Last edited:
Ok, so why would anyone fake a modern nickel?

It appears to be a counterfeit. Whether a Henning or not has yet to be determined. Better still images would be helpful, as would the weight.

Mackaydon gives a good short description in his post above. A good coin shop that has someone familiar with counterfeits and errors should be helpful.

If a few local pros believe it may be a Henning, and you plan to sell, do not sell for under $100. Target, were I to sell, would be $200. But I have a lot of patience.

Time for more coffee.

Obviously an error coin would allow me to retire but the counterfeit story is very cool! Thanks for the info!

Another possibility that, while not as common as other counterfeits, is in the realm of possibility. That would be a fake Henning. Yes, indeed, the Chinese also make counterfeits of counterfeits.

Since, to my limited knowledge. there has not been one reported in several years, I think that may be a little less plausible than a Henning, but still possible.

Time for more coffee.

Reactions: ARC
For the 'yougins' who think counterfeiting nickels is 'odd', consider in the early 50s gasoline cost less than 30 cents per gallon, a loaf of bread was 15 cents and a new car could be bought for less than $2,000. A nickel wasn't insignificant.
Don in SoCal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back