Lekain and Swift...

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
the line of rock was used for years has a bridge and 2 old timers told me that they would fish at the bridge and let there line drift under. they also said that there were carvings all over the floor of the bridge. the library at grayson had some old maps of the county that showed the river going under the bridge with an old iron furnace on the east side. i always felt that the corp of engineers had some other reason for getting rid of it. when the dam was being dug out a huge silver vain was found at 55 feet, this was in a newpaper story from huntington wva. there is an old silver mine about 2 1/2 miles east of the dam. its called silver mine creek.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Hey Boomer really good hearing from ya...I was wondering about the JS carvings you mention, and if they could possably connect with the JS carvings I'd found. If so could they maybe connect a trail Swift could have possibly used coming or going from that area to mine. There is a old Indian trail that ran from the area I'm in to that area. I think I read somewhere that Swift told of his lower mines being farther east of his upper mines. This very well could play together with the areas that Curtis and I are searching... -Ki- sent from my iPhone...

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Ki, swift says, we crossed new river at ingles ferry and than going through the large gap. coming back he said, going out by way of the big gap and crossing new river and went to mundays house. this gap is just northwest of ingles ferry 10 miles. rt. 100 goes through the gap, there is a small crossroads there called poplar hill. all the roads were built on the old buffalo traces in this area. when you go throuth the gap on the north side the bridge crosses the creek there. on the right there is a small slanted rock with a J and a triangle carved. i figured since it was carved on the west side of the rock, head west. rt. 42 follows the buffalo trace southwest. i went as far as broadford, 42 runs into 91 there. 91 does go on southwest down the valley, but there is a gap there. no idea from this point. at the buffalo gap and indian reed spring, an old man that i talked with there, said that on past the east end of the valley, you run into knox creek. moonshiners used it to head down into Va. it was an old trail used for years. i looked at this creek on topo maps and it looks to be flat and it heads southeast through the mountains. the man did say that there was an old mine down the valley at a rockhouse. but he does not know what it was.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Boomer. I think I know the area you are talking about. I'll look into it with the topo map I have, and see the easiest way for me to get there. Funny thing is, I think I used to go by there to a jobsite I worked at for a while. We called it Bull Gap though. I may be wrong, I have to check. Thanks.

C.C.

Nov 10, 2013
Eastern Ky.
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 DiPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curtis, Just now joined the forum. Was wondering about the names of the two counterfeiters you mention in this post. Was one Wm. Shepard? I have been digging counterfeit coins under a cliff dated 1847 and 1853. Was wondering about their names. Also, am very interested in LeKain information. I have some articles and bits of info about that that others may not have. Don't know if you are still looking at these post or not. Thanks, C.C.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
likain swift

im 73 yrs old am very poor on computers please bear with me i would like to meet with all of youi in person i belive we are all on the right track if we can compare notes i think it would be to every ones advantage , i found 3 mines they were square cut openings there is so much silver it would blow your mind i tried to lease or buy and was turned down needless to say i did not give up these ibelive although was found near oneof the forks of the sandy river i belive they are french mines these have not been developed and probably never will be i am capable of runnning my own assays as i have educated my self in precious metals metalurgy i have been retired since 1996 i have almost an open calender and will meet at your convience i prefer to meet in person as i have had some bad experiences with some people in the past if we are all honest with each other we will all gain more than your wildest dreames iwill give freely of my knowledge on the subject and expect the same looking forward to hearing from some of you

thanks for your concideration

rgb cincinnati area (937)218-2674

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello rgb1

I am the Swizard on Tnet, sounds pretty interesting about those mines. Swift mentioned that he and his men met at a certain fork on the Sandy. "There" they split up, one crew went to work lower mines? and Swift said he traveled west for a considerable distance to go work his upper mines. My point is, is that Swift could have had mines there on the Sandy as well and/or they could be French mines as well, ie., (Lewkain, Sprinkler). The important thing is that you know where 3 mines are. There is one person on tnet I recommend you talk with, he is a very good fellow I have searched with him in the Grayson Lake area on Caney Creek, his name is "Curtis". Curtis is the guy you want to meet, he has a wealth of info in that area, give him a yell he is in this forum, Tell him I said hey! Yell at me anytime rgb1

Your Friend
Bill N. (The Swizard on tnet -aka- Swifty)

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello rgb1

I am the Swizard on Tnet, sounds pretty interesting about those mines. Swift mentioned that he and his men met at a certain fork on the Sandy. "There" they split up, one crew went to work lower mines? and Swift said he traveled west for a considerable distance to go work his upper mines. My point is, is that Swift could have had mines there on the Sandy as well and/or they could be French mines as well, ie., (Lewkain, Sprinkler). The important thing is that you know where 3 mines are. There is one person on tnet I recommend you talk with, he is a very good fellow I have searched with him in the Grayson Lake area on Caney Creek, his name is "Curtis". Curtis is the guy you want to meet, he has a wealth of info in that area, give him a yell he is in this forum, Tell him I said hey! Yell at me anytime rgb1

Your Friend
Bill N. (The Swizard on tnet -aka- Swifty)

nice to hear from you swizard it is great to have contact with others who are still interested in the lost mines of kentucky although most do not belive thats ok if they ever found the silver it would be a stampede which would bring all the conmen along with the good people i think from what i have read here in this fourm there is some great people here , i have been through the school of hard knocks i have been swindeled by some of the smoothest talking bible talking sopedsly christains i have ever seen live and learn experience is a harsh teacher this is why i am very causcious i was taught your word was your bond and your hand shake your contract sad to say that just doesnt work any more i taught my boys they have no friends if a woman or a dollar is involved beware it seem that some have lost interest in swift and lekain mines i really would like to contact severalof the others curtis , fronteersman ,ki if they are interested in the ledgend if we can get together i think we could all profit beyound there wildest dreams skeptical as they may be i can prove the indian saying the white man could shoe their horses in silver cheaper than iorn is true i have finally figured out why i know how they know this and how they found the metal it is amazing i only know this because of the three mines i found in the early 70s i have never stopped looking i own a piece of property in eastern ky it has an old french mine on it the smelter was there and also found old cabin remains hopefulywe can all work together i am willing to share my knowledge i will run assays at no charge and believe we will prove the swift mines does exist rgb [nick name rooster]

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi RGB, Just wanted to let you know I have read your post and it seems like you could provide solutions a lot of unanswered questions regarding our French friends. I have not been as active as I want do to my work but every spring I squeeze time in for some Swift adventures. I will contact you as soon as I can.

thanks for the kind words Swiz!

Curtis

Codiakthebear

Jan 18, 2023
likain swift

im 73 yrs old am very poor on computers please bear with me i would like to meet with all of youi in person i belive we are all on the right track if we can compare notes i think it would be to every ones advantage , i found 3 mines they were square cut openings there is so much silver it would blow your mind i tried to lease or buy and was turned down needless to say i did not give up these ibelive although was found near oneof the forks of the sandy river i belive they are french mines these have not been developed and probably never will be i am capable of runnning my own assays as i have educated my self in precious metals metalurgy i have been retired since 1996 i have almost an open calender and will meet at your convience i prefer to meet in person as i have had some bad experiences with some people in the past if we are all honest with each other we will all gain more than your wildest dreames iwill give freely of my knowledge on the subject and expect the same looking forward to hearing from some of you

thanks for your concideration

rgb cincinnati area (937)218-2674
Hey, pm me. Thank you.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things to keep in mind...

From a Boomer post in 2010 ..."when i first started doing this stuff, i made a big mystake. i ran around to those locations, book and map in hand. i never got anywhere. just a lot of walking and nothing to show for it. a year later i wised up. when you read swifts journal, notice that some of the paragraphs seem out of place. when i was in north carolina i was able to talk with some of the descendants of the miners. i found that the journal is not complete. the great grand son of blackburn. said that there was a journal that told the whole story. he also said that whats out there now is bits and pieces. over the years a lot was taken out. There are two other maps, he thinks one was done by montgomery, but all this was stolen years ago. follow the trails. your doing the right thing, follow the trail. i never worked on this one. but i will check the maps. we do know that the catlett family lived at the mouth of sandy. catlettsburg was named after them. they became rich and there is the grave. i wonder if its a later swift, maybe a son?? so many different stories. i do a lot of research before i hit the road."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions