Lesche the Impaler

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my Lesche digger this afternoon, and I am impressed with the quality! My only concern is that it looks like a deadly 7" blade, especially with the root chopping edge. Here in Michigan, knife laws dictate that you cannot carry a fixed/folding blade over 3" long. I know this isn't considered a knife, but it seems like I might have some explaining to do if the local authorities see it strapped on my hip.

Has anyone had issues with their digger being confused for a weapon?

I had thought about carrying my knife for protection while MD, but I suppose I do not need it, as it appears that my Lesche could seriously ruin someone's weekend if they tried to mess with me.

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First up,welcome to this site,you'll be on it allot,2nd. I think if you do get in trouble with the law,you can show them what you actually do with it,on some sites it's discribed as a sod cutter.

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Well look at this way you could have bought a Hori Hori and had a real hard time explaining that one.LOL

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not classified as a weapon, but it looks like a deadly, 7" blade because it is a deadly, 7" blade. There's always the argument that you could just as effectively use almost any kind of tool to deadly effect, but if someone wants to make a stink out of it, then it really is a 7" blade. If you're under the radar and have a good spiel in case someone approaches, you should be fine. Make sure you pay attention to how you're holding it, though. Hold it like something used for digging instead of gouging and hold it softly.

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
It appears to boil down to a question of "intent". The law regarding the 3 inch knife blade is covered in MCL 750.226 as an excerpt of The Michigan Penal Code Act of 1931.

It states, in part,: ....."with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length."

This poses another interesting question which deserves a legal opinion. With the adoption of Michigan's 'Castle Doctrine' which clarifies the right to self protection up to and including lethal force, would that not reinforce the 'intent' to 'lawfully' carry, openly, a knife of any blade size for self protection? We have always taught the Castle Doctrine's no retreat concept at concealed pistol classes but I never heard it applied to other means of self defense.

Will have to pursue it.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make no mistake.....it is a bad a$$ tool.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it.
It is a tool, and if some jackbooted thug wants to harass you he has no grounds as it was designed as, and is being used a a digging tool.
I had a dulled AK47 bayonet when I was in MI, and I talked to many cop types and they could care less.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two people beat up a guy, locally, using baseball bats. Do you think there will be a baseball bat "turn in" program? NOOOOOO! Some day, the Leshe will end up in court to define it's purpose. I don't think anyone has attacted anyone with a Leche so I think you're safe from prosecution. TTC

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2, Garrett GTAx400, Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about it.
It is a tool, and if some jackbooted thug wants to harass you he has no grounds as it was designed as, and is being used a a digging tool.
I had a dulled AK47 bayonet when I was in MI, and I talked to many cop types and they could care less.
I'm glad that the Michigan cops don't care about me detecting either. Sometimes they'll slow down for a second, then nod and drive off.:thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Every fall thousands of deer hunters in Michigan are gutting deer carrying knives having less than 3" blades? I can't recall ever seeing it.
I've never had trouble with the cops driving by, me on public property with my Lesche.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread