What's new

Lesson learned

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, lump.

There are some terribly greed folks in this world. I know one person in particular that would have taken every pull tab too.

Just keep doing the right thing. An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.
 
Shortly after an uncle died, I talked to his widow at his wake. I had brought a couple of small cut stones with me to show other family members, just to give away if anyone wanted one. One of the stones was a 5 ct. topaz, slightly frosted. My aunt took a look and begged me for it. Seems my uncle liked to hide things in the house. One of the things was a topaz ring he had gotten her. He then hid the ring somewhere in the house. The family could never find it. My aunt was heartbroken, but being given a stone of similar size allowed her to re-create her original ring.

She then told me the story of a previous owner of the land, who may have buried coins on the farm, and where the cache was thought to be. My dad confirmed the story. While I didn't find the cache, I'm nearly certain the invitation to search for it came after giving the cut topaz away. I got about 20 cut stones for under $20, so the single stone was maybe $1 for me, but priceless to her.

When detecting on private property, always keep in mind that half of whatever is found, be it junk or treasure, belongs to the owner.
 
What an incredible story! Brought tears to my eyes. Honesty is always the best policy & people WILL surprise you! Yesterday was my youngest daughters birthday (12) and we spent the whole afternoon together-just girl stuff. (we have 4 girls & 1 boy so this was HUGE for her). We were walking in the mall & I reached in my purse for my cell phone & I accidentally drooped some cash. I hear "Ma'am wait!" and there's this young couple with a little baby bending to pick it up. I would have never known! As we walked away my daughter said "Mom-not many people would have done that." and I said "Jaden, people will surprise you. Look for the good always & you will find more good. BE that person always."

I truly believe that people are innately good. I sure would love to meet this fair old gentleman-he sounds like my kind of guy! Thanks for sharing this!

Woodland Detectors said:
Some of your replies concern me fellas. :icon_scratch:

If the landowner wants the finds, then you should respectively, and ethically turn them over. This is how the doors stay open for the hobby. Modern Miner (Doug) is an perfect example and role model to this. It is a given to him. I had a land owner tell me he once, that wanted to test the character of a neighbor he granted permission to detect on his families farm where there was a documented Civil War skirmish. The landowner (in his 70's then) had nothing better to do than watch him from his upstairs window while he drank his morning coffee. The old man watched the neighbor guy dig several holes throughout the morning, and put some things in one pocket, and some things in the other. When the neighbor came up to the house after his dig, he told the landowner excited, "I'd like to show you what I found!" The neighbor reached in one pocket and pulled out the clad and modern trash showing the old man, and telling him, "Thank You for letting me detect here" The old man smiled, and said, "That is great son, but may I see the other pocket?" The old man said he could see the neighbor kid turn white, and start to shake just a little, saying, "what do you mean? The old man a little upset, said, I have been watching you today son, and I saw you slipping things,pointing to the other pocket, in there. If you wouldn't mind please, I'd like to see them. The neighbor grew upset and said those things in that pocket, were from somewhere else. :icon_scratch: After a while, the assorted confederate buttons and other respectable relics dug that day were handed over to the old man. The old man smiled at the neighbor, held his hand out, to give the buttons and relics back to the neighbor, and said, "here you go son, now I would appreciate it if you never came back to my property, my sisters down the street property, and any of my other family members property. After speaking with the very spunky old guy, he gave me permission to hunt on his property, because he heard we had offered his sister the week before, some very sentimental and valuable finds we dug on her property. After I hunted that day, I had one of the best CW digs of my life, uncovering a pistol and my Louisiana button, which I offered to him. He smiles and said, "son those are yours, Thank you for showing them to me. By the way, my son owns 300 acres down the road your welcome to hunt too." That is a true story. Doug (Modern Miner) takes relics dug from owners properties, and makes the coolest looking shadow boxes for the owners to display in their homes or Museums. I invited Doug to one of my sites last year, where he gave the landowner CW relics displayed in a shadow box. Doug has many doors open because of this. Whenever I go back to their farm to hunt, the owner always asks how Doug is doing. So ethically folks, it is important to show the landowners your finds. 90 percent of the time they insist you keep it anyway.
 
Another great one! Are you guys TRYING to choke me up at 7:45 on Sunday morning lol

Tuberale said:
Shortly after an uncle died, I talked to his widow at his wake. I had brought a couple of small cut stones with me to show other family members, just to give away if anyone wanted one. One of the stones was a 5 ct. topaz, slightly frosted. My aunt took a look and begged me for it. Seems my uncle liked to hide things in the house. One of the things was a topaz ring he had gotten her. He then hid the ring somewhere in the house. The family could never find it. My aunt was heartbroken, but being given a stone of similar size allowed her to re-create her original ring.

She then told me the story of a previous owner of the land, who may have buried coins on the farm, and where the cache was thought to be. My dad confirmed the story. While I didn't find the cache, I'm nearly certain the invitation to search for it came after giving the cut topaz away. I got about 20 cut stones for under $20, so the single stone was maybe $1 for me, but priceless to her.

When detecting on private property, always keep in mind that half of whatever is found, be it junk or treasure, belongs to the owner.
 
I would of told her i have to take a pic of the coins first for my book, and when she handed them back to me, i would of thrown those suckers as far as i could and told her "you can have them if you can find them". :laughing7: I know thats probably not what i would do, but i would have that in the back of mind!
 
Grrrrrrrrrrrr no comment On some of the previous posts!!!! Mike you got it Right!!! My land lady is Going to be back soon From sunny California this week some time I just need the time to Hunt there and am thinking about the time frame to do a quick Check of the Property And She Has given Me permission to Hunt Her yard and 15 acre property which includes a old log cabin that her Husband had removed and some Items Incorporated Into her Home!!! Any finds belong to her until she gives them to Me!!!

I'm heading to the Log cabin site First!!! HH Chug

I'm going to make Her Family a shadow box, so they can remember the Moment!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom