Let me get this straight

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I admit I pay very little attention to court cases, yellow legged frogs, and pretty much everything else our government does.. But I have noticed people getting jumped on for calling themselves recreational .. what the deal with this..? And if now they aren't recreation. what are they? And really what does it matter anyway. Seems pretty stupid if you ask me.. Does the word really have that big of impact? Anyway I was just wondering what ludicrous reason their is ..why this word seems to be getting so much attention..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AGE, Mining Claims For Sale
an example of the problem? Look how it is advertised. This ain't the only one!!!! I am willing to bet that a person who wants to make money from gold could care less about the fishing and the camping! I sometimes wonder if allot of these people are paper stakers just for the sole intent to resale.... most of the time I can only find record of it being recorded with County recorders office never BLM.. Now these claims are being sold with the promise of gold and are most likey staked due to their location not any real evidence found by the people who stake them! Is history of an area all it takes to have a mining claim?? I have been searching for a mining claim(cheaply as I aint freakin rich) that I could stake or buy that has the potential to provide an income or shows signs of possible value.. I have yet to do so I have been to quite a few claims some owned some open to staking and yet to have one turn up that I feel I can profit from. Either I am unlucky or I suck or I just haven't found the right property is all open for argument but I believe it is not easy and I just haven't found the right property. back in the day it wasn't uncommon for prospectors to find a valuable claim and then sell it but it seems today the value on gold claims is based on their acessability and there camping and recreational aspects not being a productive producer for gold??

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Goldwasher I didn't mean to undermine anyone who makes products for mining.. As you are right all industries require equipment.. But I know from experience that 3/4 of the stuff being sold is for recreational prospecting and has no real practical use in actual mining..Nothing wrong with that...As long it makes a buck.. But I can't help but wonder how much of their income is dependant on Recreation miners? Probaly quite a bit.. For me I can't see what difference is other then the issue of Recreation Versus small scale prospectors Now if some of these Prospectors/equipment makers could prove they work their properties and are trying to make a living as a miner that is one thing but when these guys hold on to valuable claims so they can go have fun and find gold and play then it seems they are misusing the laws!! I have met a whole slew of men who come from generations of propsectors Doesn't mean crap in my book I am more concerned about what a man does not his daddy or grandpa... Hell those 4 girls on that new gold show come from a family of miners really doesn't mean much does it. It seems to me that prospectors may have an actual chance if they were being represented by actual miners who are succsefull at making a living prospecting.. I am against people holding claims that have no real intention on working it only playing or using it as private camping rec areas. I am of the mind that only a handful of claims are actually worked and a many a man of worth has been dicked over by people abusing mining law. if you make your wage from minerals you are a miner!! If you make your wage from other means then you be that!! I make crappy videos doe'nt make me a Director actor... The fact is if these people really gave a crap about miners and rights they wouldn't be misusing the privalages granted by the laws..They would be prospecting for fun on Public lands as a hobby..Not staking claims for they have somewhere to play prospector!!Iam of the mind the whole purpose for claims is to find and work a valuable deposit..that is how I interpreted mining law. Am I wrong?? I think it is crazy for the very men who put me in this pickle are the very men speaking out to stop it! Why do I not feel conforted that I my rights are being looked after?

AMEN......................

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know Pat Keene, never met him. That being said,double what gold washer said, he has more skin in the game that a lot of larger companies with more resources.... Let's not bite the hand that feeds you, just because of personal run in

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know Pat Keene, never met him. That being said,double what gold washer said, he has more skin in the game that a lot of larger companies with more resources.... Let's not bite the hand that feeds you, just because of personal run in

Nothing to do with me meeting him I buy and use keene products. I am the one who made an ass out of myself when I met him... As for the hand that feeds me that's the problem to many people not willing to bite the hand that feeds them because it is easier to be fed and overlook things then feed yourself!

I just got to much time on my hands today tooth pain kept me home and I am bored senseless with a hell of a migraine.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to begin

The mining laws are invoked by finding and claiming a valuable mineral deposit. The laws give you rights to the mineral in the ground. The mining laws also make you equal with the government agencies so that you can work the minerals with reasonable suggestions. The agencies only control the surface or ground you walk on, UNLESS it is an active mining area.

If you are out in the woods you are subject to surface regulations and beneath the umbrella of whatever agency is in control. You have to follow their regs.
Being Recreational means THEY control the surface AND the surface you are disturbing fall under the AGENCIES jurisdiction to dispose of

In reality the dredge permits take away your mining rights by agreeing to be bound by the surface agency. Just like fishing and hunting. We use to never get dredging permits, then the agencies stated we needed them for years we said no. Then slowly people who did not know any better began believing they needed one. The rest is where we are today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions