What's new

Let Me Tell You a Little Story....

enamel7

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
6,415
Reaction score
2,551
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!
This is a story about saving the best for last. Last friday while dumping some of my clad halves one of the tellers saiid he wanted me to look at something. He said a lady came in dumping change that had been collected at the Y and she had some dimes she wasn't sure she should put in the machine. He looked and they were Mercury dimes! She started dumping them and he said he would give her the emoney for them and got what was left. He kept a 1917 and 18 and sold me the rest for face. I asked if they still had the bag and he told me it was still on the machine and hadn't been filled yet. He also said he saw more of the coins when he changed another bag. I asked him if I could buy the bag after it filled and he said yes. So monday morning he calls and says the bag is ready. Here is what I found.
Mercurys
1917,1917S,1918D,1918S,1920D,1921D,1923,1923S,1924S,1925D,1927S,1929D,1929S,1931S,1934,1934D,1935D, 1935S, 1936AU),1936D,1937,1937D,1937S,1938,1938D,1940D,1940S,1941,1941D,1941S,1942D,1942S.
roosies
1946(2),1962D,1964(3),1964D(2).
1999S clad Proof.
Canadian: 1974,2004P.
1984 Bermuda ten Cent.

Oh, almost forgot the best for last I spoke about.
1916D!!!!!!!!!!
Photo with my microscope to come! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 1916do.webp
    1916do.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 915
  • 1916dr.webp
    1916dr.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0
golden silver said:
i JUST FOUND A 1916 AS WELL BUT cannot tell if it is a D for the ware that is on it. Any suggestions?

Golden Silver
Post a pic and lets look at it.
 
oh my what a sweet find! congrats!!!!!!!
 
That's insane, a 1916D. Send it into PCGS, then you have yourself a nice investment for years to come. In the last year that baby has jumped $200. Don't sell it! Funny, you find one CRHing, while I CRH to buy one! Nice catch! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Superb score Gilbert , that is a amazing amount of dimes along with the best key dates ....wow..I am happy for u and u deserved a insane haul , kudos Ed
 
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic but i just wondered how this was not a banner worthy find even though 2 or 3 others have made the banner after finding a 1916 d in similar condition.
 
sir said:
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic but i just wondered how this was not a banner worthy find even though 2 or 3 others have made the banner after finding a 1916 d in similar condition.
Probably because it was found CRHing. I don't think a CRHing find has made the banner yet.
 
mountainman 2 said:
sir said:
I'm sorry for rehashing this topic but i just wondered how this was not a banner worthy find even though 2 or 3 others have made the banner after finding a 1916 d in similar condition.
Probably because it was found CRHing. I don't think a CRHing find has made the banner yet.
I specifically remember a while ago that they indeed put a crh find on the banner. It had to do with someone who found hundreds of silver halfs and it was really amazing.
 
Great job on the '16D!! I hope you rewarded that teller.

A lot of people here suggest that nobody vote any CRH finds for banner. They feel that there are enough CRHers already and like to keep a low profile.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
sir said:
I don't believe this post would make banner in 2009. Great finds have been made CRHing and non-coinroll hunting that should have been up there but for some reason didn't make it. The bar must be set very high to achieve that goal. But what's the difference, a great find is still a great find,no one can take that away.
 
Wow you are rich! 1921d a key date what kinda grade is it in? Alot of common dates do you have any in au or better? Some will go for alot of money even if its a common in high grade.
 
The 21d is probably ag-3 also. Yes there were several very nice coins in the bunch, a few that would probably be AU. They were later dates so probably not much of a premium.
 
Awsome, congrats on the score of a lifetime.
 
outstanding Gilbert. a key and a semi key all in one haul. :thumbsup: the formula P+P=P(Persistance + Patience= Payoff) has proven itself. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom