What's new

LETS HAVE A CONTEST! Makes a lot of Cents .....

CLZinTX

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I was reading this weeks, February 11th, issue of Coin World. On page 5 there is an article titled "Collector finds second example of 1982DDR cent variety" by Eric Von Klinger.

Klingers article states that a second example of a newly discovered major doubled die reverse variety of 1982 Lincoln cent has been verified. It was discovered by a Vermont collector in a fresh searched uncirculated roll of 1982 cents he set aside back in 1982.

As you all know there are 7 varieties of the 1982 cent. The first error coin of this type was reported in October of 2007. It took 25 years for this error to surface.

It is a doubled reverse combined with a small date obverse on one of the copper plated zinc planchets.

The first error was found in a roll acquired at a bank in Weymouth Mass.

Klinger says searchers should look first at the Motto "E Pluribus Unum". The doubling is strongest there and on the "ED" of United. Doubling is also evident in the word "One".

The coin pictured in the article is a 1982 with no mint mark. I don't have a picture of the coin you will have to get a copy of the magazine or go online somewhere to see one. Looking at the picture in Coin World it will be very obvious, but if your eyes are like mine you need a magnifying glass to see it.

So lets see if our combined efforts can locate another one of these error coins.

The prize for finding another or these coins will be ..........

Well, having found the next one of these errors when only two are known to exist at this time, will be its own reward.

What do you all say, do we have a contest?

CLZinTX
 
Upvote 0
I'm in!

The best thing about this newly discovered error is no one knows how many are out there. In 1977 as a kid I started filling a blank Whitman album full of each year's pennies. In 1982 I was thrilled to discover a large and small date for that year, so I did a book for each. And I lived in Rhode Island back then...

Hmm, I think I'll check out my small date album ;D
 
im in i gabd sort cents anyway. So the only two examples are zinc? This will make my searching that much easier lol

-K
 
It's Easy Klava .....

Klava,

It really is pretty easy, all you have to do is remember this, 1982, small date, zinc, no mintmark.

That narrows it down to no more than a couple of billions pennies that might be minted without a mintmark.

By the way, the redbook lists a 1983 doubled-die reverse, just to make it interesting.

But remember only 2 of the 1982's mentioned above have been found so they are worth a whole lot more right now.

Strick while the iron is hot.

CLZinTX
 
Well, my album of 1982 small dates yielded no doubled dies, rats. Funny thing is, I just collected these at random - the first 90 I found filled a hole in the book. All of them are zincs, not a copper in the bunch. Maybe that's a little insight into the Mint's distribution patterns back then.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom