Iron Patch
Platinum Member
- Joined
- Sep 28, 2007
- Messages
- 19,276
- Reaction score
- 8,953
- Golden Thread
- 3
- Location
- Dirtyville
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 4
- Detector(s) used
- Deus
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome piece of history! Hopefully you'll be able to pin down what it is!This one I think is up for debate. Found at an old farmhouse that was around during the revolutionary war and is in the area of Tarletons raids in central VA. I've sent the pictures and measurements to numerous people, getting a few replies back. Mr. Bruce Bassett-Powell believes it to be a shoulder strap button from a british soldier, while Mr. Jonathan Maguire from the Royal Welsh Fusilier Museum in England believes it to be a calvary ornament for leather from a british soldier. Both believe it to be British military from the revolutionary war though. So I am happy with that.
View attachment 1837621
That's an awesome script I pewter button, Truth! Early military is so cool.View attachment 1837668
I love anything revolutionary war. Pewter script I button
That is a great USA Button, G.A.P metal!
The 13th Bourbonnais french reg. button was actually found inside a REv war fort - I was so excited because others had missed it
there was iron trash piled here and there and holes from others - PO'ed at myself because I had this spot marked in a map book
to check out about 15 yrs before i finally went - I heard lot of other buttons and lots of relics were found by others over the yrs there in and out of the small fort
- those could have been mine had I just gotten off my butt yrs ago - I did get a few other relics they missed and a few coins but I could have killed it there
The USA Continental army button was a total...total surprise - found in the waters of Cape Cod - I was searching for old gold rings and early 20th
century silver coins in saltwater and scooped this up - thought it was an old nickel in bottom of my scoop...I never hoop it up when i find
a good find - have gotten lots of diamond rings and many awesome finds - some real good ones and never whooped it up but I did when i pulled
from scoop and flipped it over and saw the lettering
The Rev navy was also a huge surprise - found in a farm field that has been pounded by about 100 guys over the last 30 yrs
it did not read off good being pewter - sun was setting and had not gotten anything but small bits and pieces of colonial metal
stuff hit by plows - i could barely see the anchor and got real excited when i did - its not very common
Great stories and awesome finds, CASPER!
Super cool button, BrianNY! Even better that it is Light Dragoons!Found just two days ago. Kings American Dragoons - Light Dragoons button. Long Island, NYView attachment 1837686
That's an awesome 24th Regiment button, Iron Patch. Would that be an officer's button with the silver gilt?I dug this in 2014 as a guest on a site having been taken there by someone who was fairly new to the hobby. I think it got his attention when I said it was one of the best buttons I had ever found.
It's listed on the online supplement for Troiani's book.
Too bad about that site CASPER. Hopefully you'll be able to discover another site with Rev War activity that is undug!Another sad story to go with the 13th reg.
part of the reason i kept putting off hitting spot where that button was found is it is over a 2 hr drive
a few years ago they bulldozed about 100+ acres and built a school on property around it
I never found out till to late - wonder if any locals got in there - there had to be all kinds of stuff
in there - had to be a lot of cannon balls - it was attacked from all sides - probably a ton of musket balls
My McDonald twins.
76th Regiment of Foot McDonald's Highlanders.
Those are beautiful buttons!
Yes the 24th is an officer's button.
That's incredible!! It's in great shape too.