Let's see some Revolutionary War buttons!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With all the covid stay at home, etc I haven't had much time to get out detecting, and I've had more time to browse the finds on here. One of my favorite things to see posted is Revolutionary War buttons, I just love that early period in U.S. history and relics associated with it. I personally have never dug a Rev war button, but something I hope find one day. I think it is really interesting to see what a wide variety of buttons were made in that time period.

So let's see any and all Revolutionary War buttons that all you Treasurnet members have dug, British, American, French, Loyalist, etc, anything Revolutionary War!

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
couple of Rev War buttons from a few years ago...Kings American Regiment....Royal Provincials...bone back Royal Navy

Attachments

• 20200529_202841.jpg
    20200529_202841.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200529_202757.jpg
    20200529_202757.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200529_202721.jpg
    20200529_202721.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 53

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VT, You have no idea how bad I wish I could contribute to this thread and show a picture of a Rev War button. Since I really like military buttons, that would be a dream for me to dig one someday, but I don't see that happening anytime soon since I'm in Illinois. But like they say, you never know.

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
couple of Rev War buttons from a few years ago...Kings American Regiment....Royal Provincials...bone back Royal Navy
Those are some incredible buttons, ironhorse! The gilt on that King's American Regiment button is gorgeous!

Three awesome buttons, CASPER! The French 13th Regiment button is particularly cool!

VT, You have no idea how bad I wish I could contribute to this thread and show a picture of a Rev War button. Since I really like military buttons, that would be a dream for me to dig one someday, but I don't see that happening anytime soon since I'm in Illinois. But like they say, you never know.
They are certainly hard to find no matter where you live. Illinois may not be a Rev. War hotspot like New York, Virginia, Massachusetts, Maryland, etc, but there was some activity there, with George Rogers Clark leading a campaign in Illinois, so like you said, you never know. Hopefully a Revolutionary War button is coming your way soon!

British 17th regiment light dragoon’s View attachment 1837514
That's a stunning button, amazing condition and Light Dragoons to boot! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one I think is up for debate. Found at an old farmhouse that was around during the revolutionary war and is in the area of Tarletons raids in central VA. I've sent the pictures and measurements to numerous people, getting a few replies back. Mr. Bruce Bassett-Powell believes it to be a shoulder strap button from a british soldier, while Mr. Jonathan Maguire from the Royal Welsh Fusilier Museum in England believes it to be a calvary ornament for leather from a british soldier. Both believe it to be British military from the revolutionary war though. So I am happy with that.
1875F663-82F6-4145-AA9C-2E63CEAD5779-crop.jpeg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 13th Bourbonnais french reg. button was actually found inside a REv war fort - I was so excited because others had missed it
there was iron trash piled here and there and holes from others - PO'ed at myself because I had this spot marked in a map book
to check out about 15 yrs before i finally went - I heard lot of other buttons and lots of relics were found by others over the yrs there in and out of the small fort
- those could have been mine had I just gotten off my butt yrs ago - I did get a few other relics they missed and a few coins but I could have killed it there

The USA Continental army button was a total...total surprise - found in the waters of Cape Cod - I was searching for old gold rings and early 20th
century silver coins in saltwater and scooped this up - thought it was an old nickel in bottom of my scoop...I never hoop it up when i find
a good find - have gotten lots of diamond rings and many awesome finds - some real good ones and never whooped it up but I did when i pulled
from scoop and flipped it over and saw the lettering

The Rev navy was also a huge surprise - found in a farm field that has been pounded by about 100 guys over the last 30 yrs
it did not read off good being pewter - sun was setting and had not gotten anything but small bits and pieces of colonial metal
stuff hit by plows - i could barely see the anchor and got real excited when i did - its not very common

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find - I found a cufflink with the feathers and crown etched into it for the Welsh Fusiliers - it was done by hand and is crude but knew what i had when i wiped it clean - it was a farm field find and found in a spot that had a small village stockaded fort and might be pre REV war

This one I think is up for debate. Found at an old farmhouse that was around during the revolutionary war and is in the area of Tarletons raids in central VA. I've sent the pictures and measurements to numerous people, getting a few replies back. Mr. Bruce Bassett-Powell believes it to be a shoulder strap button from a british soldier, while Mr. Jonathan Maguire from the Royal Welsh Fusilier Museum in England believes it to be a calvary ornament for leather from a british soldier. Both believe it to be British military from the revolutionary war though. So I am happy with that.
View attachment 1837621

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BrianNY

Oct 17, 2017
Long Island, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found just two days ago. Kings American Dragoons - Light Dragoons button. Long Island, NY 101037694_10219044440676665_7679368209186684928_o.jpg

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find - I found a cufflink with the feathers and crown etched into it for the Welsh Fusiliers - it was done by hand and is crude but knew what i had when i wiped it clean - it was a farm field find and found in a spot that had a small village stockaded fort and might be pre REV war

The house was built on a King's Grant, so it is possible what I found is pre-war or loyalist versus British military. Ill probably never know for sure.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this in 2014 as a guest on a site having been taken there by someone who was fairly new to the hobby. I think it got his attention when I said it was one of the best buttons I had ever found. :)

It's listed on the online supplement for Troiani's book.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 54

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this in 2014 as a guest on a site having been taken there by someone who was fairly new to the hobby. I think it got his attention when I said it was one of the best buttons I had ever found. :)

It's listed on the online supplement for Troiani's book.

Very Nice :icon_thumleft:

i think my 13th reg might be in one of his books - friend of mine who was a friend of his sent a pic of it to him
thought someone yrs ago said they saw it :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice :icon_thumleft:

i think my 13th reg might be in one of his books - friend of mine who was a friend of his sent a pic of it to him
thought someone yrs ago said they saw it :dontknow:

Both books have the same two French 13th buttons but neither seems to be yours. Guess you will have to try harder. :laughing7: (which is easy to do)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both books have the same two French 13th buttons but neither seems to be yours. Guess you will have to try harder. :laughing7: (which is easy to do)

mine was in better shape when found - started to flake after having in a display case for awhile

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another sad story to go with the 13th reg.
part of the reason i kept putting off hitting spot where that button was found is it is over a 2 hr drive
a few years ago they bulldozed about 100+ acres and built a school on property around it
I never found out till to late - wonder if any locals got in there - there had to be all kinds of stuff
in there - had to be a lot of cannon balls - it was attacked from all sides - probably a ton of musket balls

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another sad story to go with the 13th reg.
part of the reason i kept putting off hitting spot where that button was found is it is over a 2 hr drive
a few years ago they bulldozed about 100+ acres and built a school on property around it
I never found out till to late - wonder if any locals got in there - there had to be all kinds of stuff
in there - had to be a lot of cannon balls - it was attacked from all sides - probably a ton of musket balls

I have the same thought about our big old park here. I've dug a CT copper and a friend Spanish silver, so have to wonder what the first guys got for relics and likely passed them off as not being anything too great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread