Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's Talk About Eyes

Are yours still good after 40? When I turned 42 I had to get some reading glasses to help me read the phone book..pill bottles, fugetaboudit!

I recently brought home a few rings..can't read the "925" or "STERLING" or "10K" or whatever without using my glasses AND a magnifying glass! And I need more light! What gives?

I can't read the dates on dimes either until I get home to get my "other eyes" or have my eagle-eye son read them for me!! If silver coins didn't gleam when I pull them up, what on earth would I do? Is there no end to this conspiracy?

Nat

dobie

Feb 12, 2006
corry, pa
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, bounty hunter scout
Re: Let's Talk About Eyes

bi-focals at 38,and they make some things even worse, like archery hunting etc.,,,were getting old,arrgghh

papa

Sep 21, 2006

First stages of, .............. "Old Age" ........... ;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Join the club. At about 35 I started having trouble seeing at a distance, at 45 I noticed I couldn't read the checks I was writing. Now I can't see the date of a coin without my glasses. The inability to see up close happens to just about everyone. Look on the bright side....YOU CAN STILL SEE! HH

Cal

Z

ztzzt

And this is the best part! You know what goes next?.........................

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia

at least you dont have to wear glasses all the time. i cant see a thing without them, and i'm 22

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Eye doctor said I needed bi-focals at my last check up, age 41. I just couldn't do it to myself and went for my regular glasses, but I reckon I am going to HAVE to get them this year at exactly age 42 like yourself.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ztzzt said:

Nat,
I hope ztzzt is talking about hair being the next thing to go. ???
I know what you mean though with the eyesight. Just these last few years my eyesight at reading close up has really gone downhill. I'm 46 now, and had laser eye surgery about 8 years ago. I was told the fluid in your eyes starts getting cloudy once you get to be about 40 yrs old. I had to break down and buy reading glasses for home. Haven't had the nerve to show up at work with glasses yet. ;D
I bought me a nice 10x jewelers loupe to see my finds close up. It sucks getting old. ;D
Looks like you're still doing great though by all the finds you post.
HH.
-MM-

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

ModernMiner said:
ztzzt said:

Nat,
I hope ztzzt is talking about hair being the next thing to go. ???
I know what you mean though with the eyesight. Just these last few years my eyesight at reading close up has really gone downhill. I'm 46 now, and had laser eye surgery about 8 years ago. I was told the fluid in your eyes starts getting cloudy once you get to be about 40 yrs old. I had to break down and buy reading glasses for home. Haven't had the nerve to show up at work with glasses yet. ;D
I bought me a nice 10x jewelers loupe to see my finds close up. It sucks getting old. ;D
Looks like you're still doing great though by all the finds you post.
HH.
-MM-

shoot! my hair was the first thing to jump ship! :o now my eyes are starting to go. when your young and feel great youre too stupid to know it! then you get old and feel crappy, and are smart enough to realise it! its a terrible plan! :P

papa

Sep 21, 2006

Second stage of old age,.......When you have to get someone else to find your glasses. :-[

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hollowpointred said:
When your young and feel great youre too stupid to know it! then you get old and feel crappy, and are smart enough to realise it! its a terrible plan! :P

Agreed!

ModernMiner, after hearing about your situation with the surgery I surely can't complain..the weird thing to me is how fast it happened. I can't read a number in the phone book or a newspaper now but just a few years ago I was able to..it seems like it happened all at once. Seeing far away I have very keen vision, but close up, that's another story.

For those of you who don't know me, this post was written for the sole purpose of making light of an unfortunate situation..I can see now by reading it again how it looks as though I'm in dire straits about my failing vision ;) but I know there's really nothing we can do about things caused by natural aging. It's just strange to me how nature does these things, and I know it's just the beginning.

The best we can all do is adjust to the inevitable changes of life..I echo the sentiments of Mountainman and Farmercal..we still have much to be thankful for and we can still see. :) So bring on the magnifyers, the bright lights and the glasses, I'm not giving up yet!

Nat

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

In my case, it was directly related to the # of grandchildern. After the 1st one, the eyesight was a bit fuzzy on books. Then 2 more over 2 years and had to break down and get bifocals just to read coin dates and W&E. :( Told the daughter to stop before I go blind. ;)
Used to be able to watch a 13" tv now I've had to progress to a 32". ::)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

the weird thing to me is how fast it happened. I can't read a number in the phone book or a newspaper now but just a few years ago I was able to..it seems like it happened all at once. Seeing far away I have very keen vision, but close up, that's another story.
lol,,, well, not too funny, but i know exactly what you mean...
I think my eyes didn't get really bad until after 42, but I can't read the dates with out my reading glass, or a magnifying glass these days either... I'm 46 now, and it did seem like the sight problem happened pretty quick once it started...

I think these glasses, ( pictured below ), will be my remedy for now. They are just a pair of reading glasses that fold up into a small pouch. I'm thinking about adding the to my detecting belt, just encase I find something I really want to checkout in the field... What I really want is a small magnifying loop that unfolds, got to get out somewhere and look for me one...
Glasses.jpg
I left the picture kinda big, so you and I could both see it ok.... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Got my first pair of glasses when I was 15... and needed 'em a lot sooner than that. My dad became a believer one day when we were hunting. "Don't you see the squirrel on that limb?" he asked. When I said that I did (well, at least I thought I did), he replied with a touch of impatience, "Then shoot it." Whereupon I neatly blasted a branch out of a different tree!

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Leon said:
I left the picture kinda big, so you and I could both see it ok.... ;D

Got a kick out of that one :D :D :D

That's a good idea about bringing a loop..I like to check dates even on more modern coins to see if the area may produce some silver.

Nat

T

treasurejack

I don't even look at the detail in my finds anymore until I get back to camp! Once there I scatter them out on the table and I use a powerful magnifying glass. My eyes started going at about 42 and it's been all down hill from there with some days being worse then others. I carry reading glasses with me wherever I go, in fact, I have several sets. The good news is that my arms are still long enough if I forget them!

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

Oh god I just hate it. I complain about it quite a bit too. Ive always had great eyes and had always heard'when you turn fourty..' ya ya blah blah. So I turned fourty last year and just like that I cant read a book,the date on a coin or the little bitty writing on motherboards which I used to be able to make out with minimal light. I dont even bother trying to check the dates on coins in the field,just throw them in the pouch. So Im about a month into 40 and Im allready at the eye doctor 'minimal reading glass prescription' he tells me. Well I lost them sometime in the last couple of months and Ive been complaining and moaning and getting by with a magnifying glass and jewlers loop,holding the book about 2 feet away,you all know the drill. Found me a new pair of reading glasses last night a Wallyworld for $7.98 so I can see again but still terribly unhappy about being partialy blind and old :/

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

It started for me at 41. And went downhill fast, too. I kept getting stronger and stronger reading glasses to the point that a friend kept telling me "There's something wrong, you gotta get it checked out!" She had just hit 40 then. Now she has stronger glasses than I do!

Tis a pain, this gettin' older bit, but so far, it still beats not gettin' older. :-\

HH
Nan

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

This is a great topic. Just went to the eye doctor last Thursday. I thought I was having trouble seeing things from a distance.

Well, sure enough, 32 years old, and I need glasses. Near sighted and can't see things off in the distance. Getting old stinks....but there are worse things in life.

99Brown

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2

I guess I'm lucky cause my arms didn't get to short till I was 55, my eye doc started me out with 1.0 reading glasses now at 62 its 2.25 and I think I need stronger ones.

the main thing is go to an eye doc, just to make sure its old age.

and get plenty of exercise, I do because I forget what I was going to get lets say in the back room, then I come back to the livingroom...remember what it was and go and get it.......

HH
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread