Lidar is amazing

scrapmagnet

Sep 18, 2023
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
I have a permission of about 10 acres. 1720s home and documentation of a previous wooden home. The original property was about 250 acres so the original house could be under a McMansion's yard.

The area in the picture looks to have been a meadow with scattered trees in 1949 (historical aerial image) and is now fully wooded. I "seem" to have found both a road and a 75 foot square feature and possibly a cellar hole. Being that the woods are not extremely old, it is very dense in most spots and I'll need a machete to get to the spot. As excited as I am, I may try and wait until the leaves fall. There are a lot of easier areas to cover.
Does anyone with lidar experience have any idea of what I might be looking at?

Attachments

• lidar-1.jpg
    lidar-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 55
I have a permission of about 10 acres. 1720s home and documentation of a previous wooden home. The original property was about 250 acres so the original house could be under a McMansion's yard.

The area in the picture looks to have been a meadow with scattered trees in 1949 (historical aerial image) and is now fully wooded. I "seem" to have found both a road and a 75 foot square feature and possibly a cellar hole. Being that the woods are not extremely old, it is very dense in most spots and I'll need a machete to get to the spot. As excited as I am, I may try and wait until the leaves fall. There are a lot of easier areas to cover.
Does anyone with lidar experience have any idea of what I might be looking at?
The cellar hole seems obvious, as does the road to it. The road to the NW seems a bit more speculative. I think you would need historical context as to why they would have needed to build such a road, or perhaps a field check when the vegetation is friendlier.

I have one 1700s site where the lidar shows a road over a rather steep hill where it seems much more practical to have built it around the hill, but sure enough field checking shows it going over the hill. I will say that finding these old road beds and the like on the lidar in the field can be quite a challenge in any sort of vegetation. Remember, lidar is generally shot in full leaf off season, as I understand it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back