How To Find A Place To Look For Rocks

david.fox

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2023
All,
My son loves rocks. However, I don’t know where I am allowed to look. Does anyone know how to find land we are allowed to look? We are in Southern California and can go anywhere from the boarder to Barstow. I looked at the BLM maps and mine maps but only get confused.
BBB69E48-25A5-4702-96A0-997253302DA3.jpeg

David, there are all kinds of spots you can go to and collect specimens. I don't know where your home town is, but if you can get out around Barstow there's all kinds of goodies to be found.

A quick google search turned up this page with loads of info on where you can go:

It's an older site, so be sure to scroll down far enough to see all the info. There's loads of sites, including map directions, etc.

BEFORE YOU GO: Spend some time with your son talking about the dangers of rattle (and other) snakes. He needs to be very mindful while walking and definitely when picking up anything off the ground! They aren't out to get ya, but you are walking around in their backyard.
spider-0173.gif

Most importantly..have fun!

Last edited:
Lots of agates to find around Barstow in the dry riverbeds, and the mesas above them.

Lots of agates to find around Barstow in the dry riverbeds, and the mesas above them.
Thanks Evan. Do you know anything about open land near Lake Henshaw outside Escondido? It seems like there are a lot of mines there for gemstones.

David, there are all kinds of spots you can go to and collect specimens. I don't know where your home town is, but if you can get out around Barstow there's all kinds of goodies to be found.

A quick google search turned up this page with loads of info on where you can go:

It's an older site, so be sure to scroll down far enough to see all the info. There's loads of sites, including map directions, etc.

BEFORE YOU GO: Spend some time with your son talking about the dangers of rattle (and other) snakes. He needs to be very mindful while walking and definitely when picking up anything off the ground! They aren't out to get ya, but you are walking around in their backyard. View attachment 2107089

Most importantly..have fun!
I was snake paranoid last weekend. 😂 Being from Florida, I grew up with an extra eye on the ground. But, being miles from civilized life, I was extra worried about snakes.

Thanks Evan. Do you know anything about open land near Lake Henshaw outside Escondido? It seems like there are a lot of mines there for gemstones.
No I haven’t. Some mines let you search for a small fee and you get to keep what you fine so it mite be worth checking out. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back