Tonnes

Dec 2, 2021
Detector(s) used
AuraMeter, Japanese Wand, VR 8000 Long Range Gold Detector, Nokta DeepHunter 3D Pro, AuraSensor

Attachments

• img-03.jpg
    img-03.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 198
  • img-02.png
    img-02.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 356
  • img-01.jpg
    img-01.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 189

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting this

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can you say about LiDAR 3D Scanner using Satellites and Drones?

Are there proven treasure finds using LiDAR technology that can scan more than 40 meters underground?

Tonnes let me ALSO WELCOME you to a VERY FINE FORUM!!!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LIDAR is short for "LIght Detection And Ranging".

Light does not penetrate the ground at all. That's how LIDAR works. You shoot a laser at the ground or a solid object and the laser light is reflected back to the LIDAR unit where the distance it traveled is calculated according to how long it took the light to return.

Neither LASERs (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) nor Lidar can penetrate the earth to any depth.

So no - LIDAR never found anything underground at any depth.

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Timbered regions of the PNW.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Light does not penetrate the ground at all. That's how LIDAR works. You shoot a laser at the ground or a solid object and the laser light is reflected back to the LIDAR unit where the distance it traveled is calculated according to how long it took the light to return.

Neither LASERs (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) nor Lidar can penetrate the earth to any depth.

I have used LIDAR mapping in forestry. I can say, it penetrates vegetation EXTREMELY well. In Mendocino we used LIDAR mapping to identify 1800’s wagon trails in almost impenetrable tan oak. In widely wariable redwood stands (including true virgin old growth) we identified landslides. Across the whole ownership it showed house pits, old rail grades and a hole host of other things. I don’t know about penetrating the ground, but with what we were using, houses did not appear, but their foundation dugouts did.

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used LIDAR mapping in forestry. I can say, it penetrates vegetation EXTREMELY well. In Mendocino we used LIDAR mapping to identify 1800’s wagon trails in almost impenetrable tan oak. In widely wariable redwood stands (including true virgin old growth) we identified landslides. Across the whole ownership it showed house pits, old rail grades and a hole host of other things. I don’t know about penetrating the ground, but with what we were using, houses did not appear, but their foundation dugouts did.
This was a project for the state. This type of aerial photogrammetry is not common as it is extremely expensive. I wish there were public banks of these flights for research and what not, but there is very limited access to these maps. I would share them, but I do t work for that company anymore, and I don’t have access to those maps. Sorry fellas. You’ll just have to take my work.

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found an example of it DOGAMI Oregon Bare Earth LiDAR scans. This is in my town. Those dark shades are all buildings. The scan penetrates those buildings. You might look for stuff like this in your areas. Now that I found it, I’ll certainly be using it for my research.

Attachments

• D9EBE105-1FAD-4651-AEA4-621BBD54131D.png
    D9EBE105-1FAD-4651-AEA4-621BBD54131D.png
    882.2 KB · Views: 130

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The LIDAR actually "sees" the vegetation and everything. It's only in processing the LIDAR data after it's been recorded that those objects are removed through averaging. Averaging throws out most of the scan data so the resolution is quite a bit lower for bare ground LIDAR than the original scan.

LIDAR itself does not distinguish between vegetation, structures etc but with processing you can derive where "ground" will be if the ground cover isn't too thick and you scan a dense enough grid.

LIDAR isn't magic. it takes ground stations as well as aerial laser scanning to obtain any accuracy. The more ground stations you set up and the higher the scan density the better the resolution.

LIDAR of a relatively low resolution is publicly available for free from the government. Most LIDAR available is no better than the hand made DEMs (Digital Elevation Model) we have been using for the last 50 years. Generally that's 10 foot resolution so only objects larger than 30 - 50 feet across are reliably recognizable. Higher resolution is available near the coasts and around pet government projects.

If you want to try using LIDAR products check out the 3DEP map project at the USGS.
Or you can learn more about the governments ongoing 3DEP LIDAR project and get LIDAR downloads here:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done quite a bit of 3D mapping with LIDAR and aerial photos. Here's an example showing the Moki Dugway in Utah. It's one heck of a road - only about 32 miles long but it takes about 40 minutes to drive on average. A lot of people won't even try to drive it when they get there but with this 3D interactive map you can explore without vertigo.

http://www.mylandmatters.org/3D/Duck_Goose.html

This map is big and it's going to take a while to load in your web browser but when it does you can quickly move the 3D model around with your mouse (click and drag), zoom in and out (scroll) and there's a little "i" you can click on in the bottom left corner that will show you how to make it do tricks.

Oh... and if you miss the vertigo just type "r". :happy2:

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tonnes

Tonnes

Dec 2, 2021
Detector(s) used
AuraMeter, Japanese Wand, VR 8000 Long Range Gold Detector, Nokta DeepHunter 3D Pro, AuraSensor

Yes you are right about LiDAR.

What I forgot to mention on the original post is the use of GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) combined with 3D Laser Scanning (LiDAR) which are both attached to a space satellite used on the images I attached (top view & side view).

GPR is used to penetrate water, trees and soil while LiDAR is for surface scanning only.

They are both used to confirm the location and depth of the hidden treasures.

See additional reference below.

Attachments

• LiDAR and GPR.png
    LiDAR and GPR.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 170

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've done quite a bit of 3D mapping with LIDAR and aerial photos. Here's an example showing the Moki Dugway in Utah. It's one heck of a road - only about 32 miles long but it takes about 40 minutes to drive on average. A lot of people won't even try to drive it when they get there but with this 3D interactive map you can explore without vertigo.

http://www.mylandmatters.org/3D/Duck_Goose.html

This map is big and it's going to take a while to load in your web browser but when it does you can quickly move the 3D model around with your mouse (click and drag), zoom in and out (scroll) and there's a little "i" you can click on in the bottom left corner that will show you how to make it do tricks.

Oh... and if you miss the vertigo just type "r". :happy2:

Enjoy! :thumbsup:
That's pretty good road then to do those speeds. Cool imaging of the area and the topography. Got to see hte elevation from one switchback to another to get a sense of how much there was.
Then again from growing up mountains and having traveling many a goat trails, one gets use to a few drop offs....
Should just say view points, higher the better, especially when we were kids=rocks being tossed over. :laughing7:

I wish the LIDAR was more readily available for my area-might be for a fee based, though in the public domain nothing yet has been done.

OP
OP
Tonnes

Tonnes

Dec 2, 2021
Detector(s) used
See what happens when LiDAR 3D Laser Scanning and High Density Array GPR were merged.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone else use Lidar on here ?

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
The National Map https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

The National Map is my source for quick lidar images of anywhere in the U.S. The ability to view a free easily accessable Lidar image of the landscape through a thick canopy of trees really is a game changer for anyone exploring outdoors. I've used it to find house foundations, old wagon roads, mill sites, ancient mounds, even wells. It really is an amazing tool and I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone on these forums. When on the map viewer, zoom to your area of interest, then click the layers icon and scroll down the Layers List and select either
3DEP Elevation- Hillshade
3DEP Elevation- Multidirectional Hillshade
3DEP Elevation- Hillshade Streched
I've found that you can see some land features on one layer that are invisible on others. Check it out

wilsotc

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2022
The National Map https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

The National Map is my source for quick lidar images of anywhere in the U.S. The ability to view a free easily accessable Lidar image of the landscape through a thick canopy of trees really is a game changer for anyone exploring outdoors. I've used it to find house foundations, old wagon roads, mill sites, ancient mounds, even wells. It really is an amazing tool and I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone on these forums. When on the map viewer, zoom to your area of interest, then click the layers icon and scroll down the Layers List and select either
3DEP Elevation- Hillshade
3DEP Elevation- Multidirectional Hillshade
3DEP Elevation- Hillshade Streched
I've found that you can see some land features on one layer that are invisible on others. Check it out
One year after this post, this site is now being censored and or has been redacted at useful resolutions. Florida seems to be mostly gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread