Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled lidar maps for my state and found one though my states cartographer office. Maybe you can do the same?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The National Map Download V2

Go to Elevation Products (3DEP) for usable LIDAR and DEMs. Raw LIDAR is available under Elevation Source Data. Unless you are experienced in processing Raw LIDAR you are better off staying away from the Raw data.

Most of the LIDAR is three meter or less resolution so don't expect to see any objects smaller than 12 foot in rural areas. Also if you are working in an area with tree cover the "bare ground" LIDAR will be low resolution and unreliable.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any websites or map sites that have LIDAR information available for download? Thanks.
GENE ROE website “Home of news for the LIDAR Industry”
Sign up for their newsletter. If I was young and looking for a rewarding career this is where I would be heading. Talked to a drone pilot/surveyor at a detector meeting for hours on the subject. Data storage, surveying applications, powerline inspection, a whole new field is opening up. You will probably find info there. We have local companies already surveying with drones. You could hire them if you have a specific target you have in mind.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any websites or map sites that have LIDAR information available for download? Thanks.
I think member Gare knows how Lidar works, you might PM him.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been playing around with it a little bit. Here is a short and good video on how to use it. One item I have noticed, when you zoom in to an area too much, the screen/map area goes blank. So just pan out a little bit until it becomes visible again. However, if you are zoomed in and choose one of the items in the "3DEP layer list," the screen/map will become visible again. It won't make sense until you play with it. You'll see what I mean. Hopefully this helps.
***I did notice if you keep one of the 3DEP layers toggled, then you can zoom in & out without the map disappearing.

Last edited:

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been playing around with it a little bit. Here is a short and good video on how to use it. One item I have noticed, when you zoom in to an area too much, the screen/map area goes blank. So just pan out a little bit until it becomes visible again. However, if you are zoomed in and choose one of the items in the "3DEP layer list," the screen/map will become visible again. It won't make sense until you play with it. You'll see what I mean. Hopefully this helps.

I use the usgs site quite often, I like the hillside stretched and the multi colored one is useful too. They just made it accessible on smartphones not to long ago, but you just have to save the site to your favorites or home page.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread