What's new

Light weight floating sifter

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
644
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I'd share a few pics of the finished product. Not the prettiest but worked very well today. Hit the dollar store and found a plastic oil drain pan, toy beach sand sifter, large pool noodle, small hola hoop, and some zip ties I already had laying around. Drilled some holes, cut out bottom of the drain pan, glued, epoxied, and melted together with soldering iron, tied string on, yada, yada, yada! Anyway here it is, ugly but worked great.

image-160414377.webp

Now all I need is a third arm!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 

Attachments

  • image-2957519598.webp
    image-2957519598.webp
    99.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image-4137214546.webp
    image-4137214546.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3878968283.webp
    image-3878968283.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
lir, that is one bad a$$ sifter that anyone would be proud to own. When do they begin rolling off the production line? lmao. Good job dude...
 
Nice idea using the hula hoop. I think I have all that in the garage. Gonna make me a sifter. Thanks.

sponge using smoke signals.
 
I've used floating sifters in the past but they do slow you down. With the use of a Sunspot Stealth scoop all the sand is mostly gone from the basket when it reaches the surface. Then if you want to hunt the dry sand the sifter is in the way.
 
Lost items, it is not at all ugly! I think that is a most creative product! I really like the color scheme.:hello2:

If I hunted the deep water, I would want one just like that! :headbang:

Lorraine
 
Ya... you could sell these things :)
 
Glad you Guys and gals like it, they're very inexpensive to make and work well but like sandman said it definitely slowed me down trying to keep it close enough to use it and hitting the wet sand after was a drag but it has no weight to it so not terrible. Maybe a belt clip to attach it to would ideal when not in use.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Glad you Guys and gals like it, they're very inexpensive to make and work well but like sandman said it definitely slowed me down trying to keep it close enough to use it and hitting the wet sand after was a drag but it has no weight to it so not terrible. Maybe a belt clip to attach it to would ideal when not in use.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Looks good! Great job! I use two carabiners on mine with about 8 ft of paracord
 
Very nice job. I use a sifter on 95% of my water hunts and wouldn't leave home without it.
 
Might be a good idea to add a clip for carrying.
Too much in hand last hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
I use a carabiner clip myself and clip it to my finds pouch loops. I like yours better because you can scan your sifter for the target and I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth in mine and have to look thru the freshwater mussels and stones for my target. Small items can hide in mussel shells and I've even found a small ear ring inside a large caliber pistol casing. Once I got used to it, I don't feel right without it. Looking thru your scoop when it's full of stones or mussel shells takes more time than dumping it in your sifter. One small jewelry item was inside 3 mussel shells and I almost missed it. That's where having plastic sifters beats one with hardware cloth. A quick scan and no time wasted when small items hide in unlikely places.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom