What's new

Lil Guessing Game......

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lil' Guessing Game......

Well, it may not be a guess for some of you but I was fooled quite a few times today.

I picked up some boxes today and about a box and a half had some very worn rims on them. Alot had the reeded edge worn smooth as we have all seen, but I haven't ever seen so many silver coins like this.

Anyway, I put 20 coins together and took a picture to see if ya'll could figure out which ones are silver. Without looking at the dates, I was fooled plenty times. Usually I could pick em out from the edges....not these. After a while I got to where I could because I got used to them.

Starting from the left side......which ones are silver??? ??? Going to finish my last box and post later.
 

Attachments

  • P6280002.webp
    P6280002.webp
    42 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

From the left: #2, #10, #14, #18, #20 ???? Did I get any right?

That's why I always check the dates. :D

Thanks and HH.
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

All of them? I dunno I am still scratchin my head??
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

;DIll take a stab at it, a lot of mine look this way too...
4, 10, 12, 16, 18, 20

Happy Hunting,
Riverdog
 
Not a one.

None look like silver to me, but then again, they are pretty worn down.
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

Tim nailed it exactly. All the even numbers were 40% silver. 10 coins.

Nice job Tim. I could have used you today....ha!
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

Good eye, Tim.

And that was really fun, LJ! You stumped me. :P

(I still swear I can see the copper-nickel sandwich.)
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

Yeah, those were some tricky coins LJ!
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

Heck they fooled me a bunch of times. I never saw anything like that before. If I would have been just searching edges...I would have passed on a bunch of them. There was a couple of 90% that were worn down too but there was no mistaking those....no copper look to them at all.

Look at the pictures in my post with them stacked up.....the copper shows up even more with the flash on.

Those coins were heavliy used somewhere.....my guess is a casino. Immy hunts the casino alot...maybe he has seen this before on the 40%.
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

lejeuene said:
Heck they fooled me a bunch of times. I never saw anything like that before. If I would have been just searching edges...I would have passed on a bunch of them. There was a couple of 90% that were worn down too but there was no mistaking those....no copper look to them at all.

Look at the pictures in my post with them stacked up.....the copper shows up even more with the flash on.

Those coins were heavliy used somewhere.....my guess is a casino. Immy hunts the casino alot...maybe he has seen this before on the 40%.

I've seen that before on Casino halves.... even found a 1964 that looked like it had a copper stripe...now I always date search all casino halves. Or at least let 'em clink together and listen for silver at a minimum.
 
Roar!

Those stripes are deceiving. Good thing I don't just edge-check anymore or I might miss some of those tigers! Informative thread, LJ. :)
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

Yes those are casino halves. I get them all the time.
And this evening I was fooled by just edge hunting. I caught a 1968D that was trying to hide from me.

It is now in my evil clutches mwuhahahahahaha.....
;D
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

WOW! That would take me alot of practice to guess those. I don't think we have any casinos around here that use halves. I had one walking liberty that was real thin and a 40% that is all dark grey and wore way down and beat up.
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

the smooth edge coins are casino used u know? i always used to wonder why most halves have the serrations on the edge and some are smooth.the smooth edge coin are from video poker and slot machines. so i visited a casino one day and what do u think i saw? a man feeding a roll of walkers into the slots.but thats another story
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

I guess I better quit end hunting while driving to the next bank........LOL
 
Re: Lil' Guessing Game......

LJ, I've seen the "ground down" rims on clad, but never silver clad. I save the best/worst. One is so worn down that the tops of the letters in LIBERTY are gone as well as the bottom of the date. It almost looks like it was struck on a SBA planchett.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom