What's new

Little brass shield thing from a Mississippi plantation site

Ripcon

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2016
Messages
725
Reaction score
1,246
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1'' tall brass shield at a Mississippi plantation site yesterday.
I don't know why this looks so familiar to me, but it does.
Does anyone know what this was used for or attached to? I've attached photos of the front, back and top. Thanks!

4.webp
5.webp
6.webp
 
Maybe part of an old cabnet door slide bolt
 

Attachments

  • VINTAGE-SMALL-KNOB-BOLT-old-retro-style-cupboard.webp
    VINTAGE-SMALL-KNOB-BOLT-old-retro-style-cupboard.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
It is part of a carpet bag lock, similar to this one:
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.54.47 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.54.47 PM.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Ripcon, I believe you may have a Saddle Shield from a Cavalryman's saddle. Is there any markings on the back? Nice piece of saved History.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with devldog, due to the back attachment probably a saddle shield. :thumbsup:

Nice find,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Ripcon, I believe you may have a Saddle Shield from a Cavalryman's saddle. Is there any markings on the back? Nice piece of saved History.

I agree with devldog, due to the back attachment probably a saddle shield. :thumbsup:

Nice find,
Dave

Did you look at the carpet bag lock I posted above .. Enlarge it and you will see that the two pieces are almost identical.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Observations:
At 1-inch "tall" and 5/8th-inch wide, this object is a lot smaller than any saddle-shield I've ever seen.
Also, saddle-shields do not have that staple-shaped attachment on them.

In fact, the staple-shaped attachment is the crucial identification clue for this object.
I believe Creskol is correct... the object is the hasp for a carpetbag's "integral" lock. (Integral meaning, it is built-in to the carpetbag, not a separate, detachable lock, like you'd put into your pocket when it wasn't being used.)

About the staple-shaped attachment:
The photo below shows a carpetbag-lock on an original civil war era carpetbag. The shield-shaped hasp is riveted onto the carpet flap and its staple-shaped attachment fits into the rectangular slot on the lock. Turning the key in the lock causes an internal tab to move through the staple-shaped attachment, locking the bag's flap in place, like a ladies' purse flap gets secured by a turn-catch.

Some eagle-eyed person among you will say, waitaminnit, the upper edge of Ripcon's shield-shaped hasp is curved inward, and Creskol's edge is straight. Ripcon's edge is curved inward to enable it to fit snugly up against the circular dome (with keyhole) at the lock's center.

In closing, I must mention, it's possible that Ripcon's shield-shaped "flap lock" hasp component was used on something other than a carpetbag's flap... but the locking "mechanism" is the same, regardless of whether it was used on a carpetbag or saddlebag or purse's flap.
 

Attachments

  • carpetbag-brass-lock-with-key-and-brass-hasp_NONDUG_F45404.webp
    carpetbag-brass-lock-with-key-and-brass-hasp_NONDUG_F45404.webp
    125.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom