What's new

Little brass(?) things

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I have a couple of little brass bits from the farm, just curious if anybody cared to venture a guess at what they might be. I'm assuming they're brass, anyways, based on the greenish hue. I forgot to put a coin for scale, but the top left in the first picture is 1 1/2 in in the long (top to bottom) direction. The ornate piece would be about 2 inches longways when unfolded.

I'm most curious (obviously) about the ornate piece top right. My first thought was something off a piece of furniture or something like that, but my real question is, how would it be attached? It doesn't seem as there are any holes for nails or screws to affix it to anything. Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated! :)
 

Attachments

  • brass things.webp
    brass things.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 361
  • brass things2.webp
    brass things2.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 401
  • brass things3.webp
    brass things3.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 391
wag

top left, window or shutter latch

bottom right, broken axle nut or bathtub drain nut.

i have had to cut them off with a cold chisel before.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help!

For the top left, someone on another forum suggested part of the pour mechanism for a powder flask. Does that seem right to anyone? Seems to make sense to me, but I'm no good at this sort of thing, haha
 
Upvote 0
Bottom left: copper tubing with brass ferrel.

Dan has the bottom right. :icon_thumright:

Top left? I would believe window latch before powder flask, not sure about either. (would be a large flask)

No idea on the ornate piece.

I am here to learn, someone will know for sure.
 
Upvote 0
Cool digs! Could possibly be part of a lamp or chandelier, maybe?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help!

Top left is almost certainly powder flask, I've now seen several examples like that.
Bottom right, yep, drain part makes sense.
Bottom Left isn't hollow, so I don't think tubing. But I doubt there's enough to ID it, and I'm okay with that.

Top right still has me perplexed, especially about how it would be affixed to whatever it came from. Oh well, I suspect this too shall remain a mystery and end up in my "neat old whatsits" box. These neat old whatsits are taking up more and more of my living room, much to my wife's chagrin!! lol

Thanks again ya'll :)
 
Upvote 0
This piece looks like part of an escutcheon plate from a drawer pull or possibly a lock decoration. This is the backside, it would have probably attached with screws or have been recessed into the wood. :icon_scratch:
Could be early 19th century. :dontknow:

Dave

My daughter thinks this might be a piece of horse saddle decoration.
 

Attachments

  • Drawer Pull.webp
    Drawer Pull.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom