Little cash for sliver pawn

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as some of you may know I got some ASE's for 30$ each. I was driving thrugh town and saw one of those "cash for gold" places and to humor myself I went in with a 2006 ASE. At first I noticed the guy is about 26 and he said "oh a new one" I said yeah 06' then he said you have older ones idk how far back they go. I said yeah since 86'. He told me they go further back, which is half true. Then he said "silver is trading for like 10$ an ounce so that's what I can do." I said no it's trading for about 30$ an ounce. Then the guy says that's only in Boston. Have you guys ever been told complete bs like this before

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he didn't even have any or any coins. He had a iPod touch 1st gen for 125$ though

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pawn shop try to give me $150 for a silver roll of quarters which at that time were going for $230 all day on ebay. If the need to make eighty bucks for it to be worth it to them to flip the silver then fine, but they always make up some BS. This guy said I would easily spend that much on fees trying to sell the roll on ebay. lol, $80 in fees to sell one roll of quarters? I think I paid less than five bucks the last time I did it. The lie you mention above though is just hysterical, $10 an ounce ROFL

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pawn shops buy everything like that, and they are still open doing business. It's big business taking advantage of the poor and ignorant..... and thieves, and dopeheads...

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha that boston line. should have asked him what's so special about boston. thanks for the info.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always wondered why people will go to "Cash 4 Gold" places because they are absolutely -everywhere- especially when there are 2-3 good quality coin/jewelry stores in the same area that will pay very close to spot and at auction today I just saw some insane things happen:

1) A bag of ~25 buffalo nickels sold for $75. Average circulated condition including some dateless. No key dates.
2) A guy who paid $40 each for 4 silver eagles (despite the fact you could go get the same exact coins for $34 at jewelry/coin stores)
3) Someone bought 40 common date Peace dollars in average circulated condition (VG-F) for $45 a piece
4) A guy paid $1,000 for a half ounce Krugerrand

I didn't end up buying anything because everything went way over spot. There were a few Morgans that were in MS-60-62 condition that I considered buying but they had spotty toning and they ended up going for $55 (not going to pay any more than $45-50 for them). There was a nice gold 2 peso in a 14K gold bezel, I figured I'd go a bit over spot and pay up to $150 for it (the 2 peso gold coin sells for ~$85 at a dealer, its a tiny coin but is 90% gold) and the 14K bezel wasn't exactly large. Ended up going for $300+!

OP
OP
S

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked in my jeweled case for it and noticed the coa even says they started production in 1986. I will never sell to a cash for gold pawn place.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I just looked in my jeweled case for it and noticed the coa even says they started production in 1986. I will never sell to a cash for gold pawn place.

I'd shop around though, I've known people to get some good deals there because of the owner's lack of knowledge. I recall seeing a post a while back of someone who went to a "Cash 4 gold party" and they were paying like $.50 for 1964 and before nickels because they thought they were silver!

If you are a collector and not just a bullion hoarder, you might be able to talk to some of the owners and offer to buy some of their better date/condition finds for more than they'd get from their refiner and get a nice collection for a fraction of what you'd pay from a dealer.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the local cash for gold places offers 30% of spot price. I laughed in the guys face. All they do is bag it and send in to a refiner to double their money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread