What's new

Little Chinese Man- SOLVED

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This looks like a little chinese man carved out of ivory or shell. Is this some kind of game piece?
 

Attachments

  • MVC-003F.webp
    MVC-003F.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 746
Re: Little Chinese Man

IronSpike said:
Timekiller said:
Looks like soapstone,and a samuria warrior,and I say chess piece.I see hundred of them when googled. :D Might also be polyresin.

I agree on pawn chess piece, however think it's ivory:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/566555-31326/Highly-Detailed-32pc-Chinese-Carved
Well Ill be. I thought it was a tad older but 1930's sounds like it could fit with the other items found.. I wouldnt have the nerve to post a polyresin piece on TN lol. Ill have to admit I didnt think it was chess but I cant argue with superior researching skills. :notworthy: Green check and a big thank you Ironspike. :icon_thumright: Ill put them on eBay maybe someone is missing a few pawns for their set.
 

Attachments

  • chess ivory.webp
    chess ivory.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Re: Little Chinese Man

TnMountains said:
I have a few of those old lufkins and rulers. Pretty neat. You selling them??


On the item in question. I do not feel it is Netsuke or Sagemono styles as i have played with those. Could you stand it up on its base? Once we I.D it do we need to find out who carved it and.. find another like it.
Yes Im going to sell them on eBay individually. I have a book with all the prices. There were 2 ivory rules in the bunch already sold.

I dont have the chess piece in my hand but as far as I recall it has a slight curve to it and doesnt stand up well. Could the extreme heat in the Florida warehouse have bent it?
 
Upvote 0
Lucky spot of the item :D Only glad to be able to help you BCH once in awhile :thumbsup:

I think you're right that warehouse environment is not good for ivory:

One should avoid temperature and humidity swings with ivory. Ivory will crack and check if the atmospheric conditions are not stable. It is best to keep ivory at a comfortable human temperature and at 40% humidity.

http://www.silversmithing.com/1ivory.htm
 
Upvote 0
Dang That was a good I.D IronSpike. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
A beautiful set. Some of these pieces are very intricately carved. One side is stained with tea. Here is the white pawn. Im sure no two are exactly alike.

I wish I had a picture of the warehouse. It was packed with antiques from wall to wall, ceiling to floor with only a small walking space in the middle.. Its a shame all the railroad memorabilia, games, books, tools and unknown items that went into the dump. I have about 100 old planes and plane parts still left to sell that I salvaged.
The old man that died actually had 2 warehouses full. His son loaded up a large U-haul truck and left for up north abandoning the rest. But without pics its just a story.
 

Attachments

  • chinese man chess.webp
    chinese man chess.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom