What's new

Little doodad from next to my driveway

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Found this about 5" down mixed in with some gravelly soil a couple feet from the side of my driveway.

It registers as $.25. Has "1761-7"on it. Anyone recognize it?

Thank you ;D

fk1bi1.jpg


34rbqbq.jpg


2uz45j9.jpg
 
Lightning rod piece maybe?
Newt
 
Upvote 0
It sort of look like a piece for bending metal pipe.
 
Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
Looks like part of the base for an old automotive antenna. :wink:
I think that's what it is. I know they had pieces like that one car antennas. The cleats would grip into the underside of the fender. It's been so long since I've fooled with them I can't say thats what it is with 100% certainy.
 
Upvote 0
An early egg counter :dontknow: :icon_scratch: 8)
 
Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
Looks like part of the base for an old automotive antenna. :wink:

Me thinks yes. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • antenna.webp
    antenna.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 363
Upvote 0
Is it ferrous Bramblefind? Can you test with magnet?
 
Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
Looks like part of the base for an old automotive antenna. :wink:
vayank54 said:
Blacksheep said:
Looks like part of the base for an old automotive antenna. :wink:
I think that's what it is. I know they had pieces like that one car antennas. The cleats would grip into the underside of the fender. It's been so long since I've fooled with them I can't say thats what it is with 100% certainy.
72cheyenne said:
Blacksheep said:
Looks like part of the base for an old automotive antenna. :wink:

Me thinks yes. :thumbsup:
I do believe Blacksheep nailed it. If you look into the "socket" you can see where the antenna articulation is allowed for. The antennas that came as stock equipment until sometime in the late '70's, were rigid and the roads were not as clear of overhanging debris as they are today. So of course it only took one low hanging limb (or some jerk in the parking lot) to bend the thing, rendering it useless. They were chrome plated copper and bending one back into place wasn't possible. The replacements had a spring on the fender end which allowed for movement. Then the old overhanging limb would cause your new antenna to beat your fender repeatedly!! LOL!!! Yes, I've changed more than a few!! Regards, Skypilot
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Is it ferrous Bramblefind? Can you test with magnet?

Just tested it - not magnetic.

I was liking the wire clamp/bender idea but the car antenna concept and pictures sold me. And fits right in with the location I found it. :icon_thumleft:


When I first dug it, covered in dirt I was hoping it was part of a man's ring :D

I going to green check.

Thanks everyone!
 
Upvote 0
Native1858 said:
Half moon piece looks just like the end of a electrical conduit nender tool.
Its way to small for that.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom