Little help. Should it go in the garden or the collection?

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Went out all morning with no points and a couple catfish. Did find a broken rhyolite knife and plenty of peices. A small peice of soapstone bowl. This stone has me wondering. Was in the water not to far from where my grooved axe came from. Any ideas are appreciated. Hope all your hunts went well today.

Attachments

• 0717001300.jpg
    0717001300.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 441
  • 0717001301.jpg
    0717001301.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 0717001301a.jpg
    0717001301a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
cant do it right now . Im not at home yet. Will later on. The bottom is flat and even. the top is flat but on a slight slant. you can see the angle on the pics. The stone is the same all the axes around here are made of. Its about 8 in long and 4 wide.

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
There is plenty of scratches and the lines seem to get wider and thinner. but that could be wear. It was found in the water . very shallow water. Heres the axe

Attachments

• 0223001635.jpg
    0223001635.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 406
  • grooved axe susky.jpg
    grooved axe susky.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 409
OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Thanks. Its the centerpeice of my collection. If this is an artifact what is its purpose? Where is Larson or 37 or molly? No offense anybody else. I appreciate any info

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Dang I assumed from the shape that it was bowl-like...It's flat on top?..Have you looked up info on the Indians from your area?I was raised in M.D.,but unfortunately did not start collecting artifacts untill I moved to Texas.

It is a super interesting artifact..I am gonna do some sniffin about for ya..

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I know all about our indians. Mostly susquehannock and mattawomak tribes. There were some more agricultural indians more northern md. Ive heard about sinew rocks and other tools just nothing ive seen in my circle of collectors. Hopin somebody knows something

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Neogeo said:
Dang I assumed from the shape that it was bowl-like...It's flat on top?..Have you looked up info on the Indians from your area?I was raised in M.D.,but unfortunately did not start collecting artifacts untill I moved to Texas.

It is a super interesting artifact..I am gonna do some sniffin about for ya..
Let me know if you figure anything out, Md artifacts do not compare to texas. Amazing stuff comes outta texas

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have never seen a stone like that before. I thought maybe a pot but i see its solid. I would ask Matt (Neanderthal) see if he has seen anything like that before. I have a few ideas but that is all they are..

Sorry can't help.

Molly.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen stone bowls before. Do you think it may be an unfinished bowl ?

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Ive heard that. Also heard that it was the start of an axe that broke while starting the groove but I dont think that it was gonna be an axe. Bowl sounds more right. Wish some one knew for sure. Still havent put it with my collection yet.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing it's not soap stone though?

http://www.swerdloff.us/Washington/indians-RCP.htm

Around 2000 BC, Late Archaic people quarried huge numbers of quartzite cobbles from the hill-flanks along Rock Creek. These cobbles were chipped on-site into rough blades, which were transported to campsites elsewhere for final production into dart points (darts were thrown with an atlatl, and spearpoints were thrust, not thrown). These people also made tub-shaped cooking vessels by carving soapstone out of bedrock sources along Soapstone Valley and Rose Hill quarry in what is now Rock Creek Park (near and under Connecticut Avenue). Exchange networks linked Late Archaic societies, so that the stone bowls made here reached groups living far from the soapstone sources.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
wouldnt you make the bowl first then incise it? seems a waste of time to decorate then work it to possibly have it break. Its a cool piece and would love to find out what it is.

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
its not soapstone. We do have soapstone quarries and i have artifacts made from it. Im really leaning away from a bowl since its more oblong than round and has a slanted top instead of level. I really wish I knew what this was.

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
thanks for everyones help. i guess it goes in the collection, we will call it "the mystery stone" I will tell my friends and fam it was used to beat people that asked too many questions bout my artifacts. lol. Hope everyone found axes and banners this weekend. I found a great quartz hammer or half a quartz axe look for pics in a couple hrs. Im heading to the upper potomac this weekend so if anyone knows any where to hunt up there, I wouldnt mind a nudge in the right direction. If not ill just fill my belly with Heinekin and walleye.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is to know the thought process sometimes. Take an atlatl weight. It is drilled in the last step where it could break after it was formed. Maybe the incisions were just a test or someone seeing what it may look like. Not saying its a bowl as we may never know but stone vessels were oblong as well as round. Pretty cool whatever it is. Nice yard art :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions