Little Story.....

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I had some personal business to tend to at my old dump bank. Before I start my story, one of the tellers I dealt with often greeted me and pulled out an envelope that contained some silver dimes and wheat's. This is something she has done for me 3-4 times already....once even mailing them to my house.....great teller!!!! She always saves what she finds for me. She once told me the first Merc she found she thought was a foreign coin until she studied it more...lol. She is a very sweet girl.

Anyway, she told me yesterday she noticed an elderly lady dumping coins in the coin counter. What caught her attention was how loud the noise was so she walked over there and she was dumping halves...bigger coins make louder noise obviously. She said she instantly thought about me when she saw the halves. This elderly lady had two buckets she was dumping.

When the lady took her ticket to the teller to get her cash the teller noticed all denominations...pennies, dimes, nickels and halves on the counter ticket. She asked the lady where she got all of these coins and the lady told the teller her husband had passed away and she found these two buckets in his closet. She didn't even know he had these.

I asked this teller if I could look into the coin bin to see what it was she dumped. She said no problem and her and the manager opened the counter for me and realized the coin bin was swapped out and picked up earlier that morning to be sent to their main bank. All of these coins will be rerolled and distributed to the branches in need of a specific denomination with the exception being the halves. This is one way this particular bank saves money....not having to buy coins from the Fed.

They do not use the halves so they will be shipped back to the Fed. The halves will end up in a box in my area soon. I inquired with this bank manager last year about buying these bins but she told me due to accounting issues the upper bank management would not allow it....oh well, I tried.

This bank manager said she would have let me take what I wanted from this bin if I replaced it with the exact quantity of the denominations I took. Ahhhh...about 5 hours too late!!! Darn!!!

Anyway, this is one example of how the goodies that are pulled from boxes gets into the system although it is sad that this lady lost her husband, but it is fact that this sometimes happens and CRH'ers benefit from it.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My grandmother almost did the same to my grandfather's wheats. He never kept track of particular coins. He just tossed the wheaties in a bin in his basement. When he passed, my grandmother was going to dump the coins. I paid her $500 to let me take them. I began going through them, but the task was too daunting. I ended up just rolling them so they would stack better. Now, I have two 5 gal rubbermaid totes filled with rolled wheaties. I have no idea what is in the rolls. When my nieces and nephews get older, the hoard will be divided amongst them.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a tough pillto swallow LJ. A day late and a dollar short....so to speak.

Been there myself, and I share your pain.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Hey LJ , glad to see a post from ya ... that is one nice teller that saves and sends coins ... bummer to hear about the ones that got away but knowing you eventually you will make up for it... take care Ed

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You got my blood boiling, LJ!
I may have to go on a run and try to poach a few boxes!!!

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the pain over here LJ, that's one tough loss for us CRH's.

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
hey LJ what state are you from?

arklatexippi.... :D

TXTim said:
You got my blood boiling, LJ!
I may have to go on a run and try to poach a few boxes!!!

C'mon down....been waiting on you anyway Tim.

Scalper said:
Hey LJ , glad to see a post from ya ... that is one nice teller that saves and sends coins ... bummer to hear about the ones that got away but knowing you eventually you will make up for it... take care Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes, that teller is a sweetie! I guess she still remembers all the bags of Dove chocolates.....ha!

thurmownator said:
That's a tough pill to swallow LJ. A day late and a dollar short....so to speak.

Been there myself, and I share your pain.

Your right Thurm....not knowing what was in there makes me crazy!!!!!

Diver_Down said:
My grandmother almost did the same to my grandfather's wheats. He never kept track of particular coins. He just tossed the wheaties in a bin in his basement. When he passed, my grandmother was going to dump the coins. I paid her $500 to let me take them. I began going through them, but the task was too daunting. I ended up just rolling them so they would stack better. Now, I have two 5 gal rubbermaid totes filled with rolled wheaties. I have no idea what is in the rolls. When my nieces and nephews get older, the hoard will be divided amongst them.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather DD. I think I would have had to go through all of those wheats. You just never know....a 1909-S VDB??.....even better a copper 1943?? Even if it took a month or so to go through them......you just never know. Don't leave any stones unturned..... :wink:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you missed out on that LJ. Maybe we will be hearing of some great boxes from you soon from that collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread