Live ammo in a schoolyard - notify the police or not?

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the things about living in an area that is "gentrifying" is that we find a TON of bullets and shell casings all over the place. This doesn't really alarm me, because they're always spent.

BUT, the other day, my son and I found these two live rounds of 9MM ammo less than an inch deep in the corner of the elementary school ballfield. At first I didn't think too much of it, but the more I've thought about it, it likely means that someone dumped more in that same spot, and that it is even potentially tied to a crime...I mean, after all, who just dumps perfectly good rounds of ammo in a schoolyard?

What do y'all think? Good idea to let the cops know or not?

IMG_3761.jpg

Upvote 7

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonaro, Jewelerguy and Detectorbishop said it best. There will be nothing but a ton of over reaction to a very small situation. I find live rounds quite often. I even found an entire loaded clip of 9 mm in the front yard of a Police Officer years ago. I was delivering him a package and walked right over it. I will say though, when I rang his doorbell to give it to him, he was quite embarrassed.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say a word, either. I remember back in elementary school, a friend of mine brought a live .50 BMG round to school. I was so jealous! Of course, this was back in the '60s when we brought pocketknives and anything else, and there was never any trouble or concern. Nowadays, a line drawing of a gun will get you kicked out. Oh, how far we've come. But in the wrong direction.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't say a word, either. I remember back in elementary school, a friend of mine brought a live .50 BMG round to school. I was so jealous! Of course, this was back in the '60s when we brought pocketknives and anything else, and there was never any trouble or concern. Nowadays, a line drawing of a gun will get you kicked out. Oh, how far we've come. But in the wrong direction.
It was the regular show and tell.(60's)
Who had the coolest item (and a tanned ass if caught taking it to school).
Showed off a spent/live rounds while in elementary school. Just because we were all trying to be cool.
In today's world - just have to hear/read the latest headlines-messed up it is.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things about living in an area that is "gentrifying" is that we find a TON of bullets and shell casings all over the place. This doesn't really alarm me, because they're always spent.

BUT, the other day, my son and I found these two live rounds of 9MM ammo less than an inch deep in the corner of the elementary school ballfield. At first I didn't think too much of it, but the more I've thought about it, it likely means that someone dumped more in that same spot, and that it is even potentially tied to a crime...I mean, after all, who just dumps perfectly good rounds of ammo in a schoolyard?

What do y'all think? Good idea to let the cops know or not?

View attachment 1994341
I isually don't bother. After waiting two hours for the cops to show up & another 45 min. giving em my info just asked if I wanted em and the cop threw em in the trash. Around here the homies hang out & drop em out their pockets. I'm more worried about throwing ammo that's been cooking in the sand all day at 110 or 112 degrees in my bag.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I isually don't bother. After waiting two hours for the cops to show up & another 45 min. giving em my info just asked if I wanted em and the cop threw em in the trash. Around here the homies hang out & drop em out their pockets. I'm more worried about throwing ammo that's been cooking in the sand all day at 110 or 112 degrees in my bag.
Those temps won't adversely affect ammo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread