traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After many hours of research and revisiting some old posts, I decided to pick this legend again and look it with fresh eyes.

As reports go, in 1966, the LUE map was provided and mentioned in a book entitled "The Treasure Hunter's Manual #7" by Karl Von Mueller (KVM). There have been subsequent copies of this map circulating. Here is a scan of the map from the Ram Publishing re-print from 1979:

View attachment 2007250

Before I go any further, although I have stated that I have researched this for many hours, I am not an expert on this topic. @Randy Bradford is the foremost expert on this topic with many writings and publishings of the KVM topic.

Ok. Moving forward with the discussion.

Some may state that the above is not the actual map since it is a redraw from the original document. There is something to think about here since it is a redrawn version of the original. I believe that something is to be said about a redrawn map, especially related to multiple interpretations.

Here is another version of the same map:
View attachment 2007252

And then you have the map version made infamous by a former member of TreasureNet:
View attachment 2007253

The question you may ask - "Which one is the right one?" I will discuss the first one, which I know came from the book (because I made the scan personally).

I have a 35MB version of the one I scanned if you wish to use it. It makes for easier overlays within Google Earth.

The first thing to discuss is: What does "Lloro Urraca enterarri" mean? I had a heck of a time searching it up, but the most reasonable translations I came up with are the following lines.

Spanish version 1: written "Enterrari u rraca l oro," which is backward from the original writing from others and means "I will bury the gold."
Spanish version 2: written "Aca l oro enterrari," which has the first and second word swapped and the third word spelled differently, and means "Here I buried the gold."

Corsican: the Corsican language derives from Corsica, an island within the Mediterranean Sea and is one of the 18 regions of France; written "Enterrari Urraca l oro" and means "The burial is all over the place."

Some of the thoughts on the map's origin are in question. Some researchers believe it to be of Latin origin, and that is also quite possible since "enterrari" comes from "enterrar," which in Latin means "to put into the earth." If you searched each term separately for a Latin translation, you would not find one quickly.

Here are the words and some translations I found:
  • Lloro - leash, my, they, them, their, to turn or wind/round, call, cry, clamor, parrot, and laurel
  • Urraca - and, gossip, thievish, and magpie
  • Enterrari - enter, bury/entomb, and "to put into the earth."
Here are some

When you look at these two translations, there may be two thoughts that may come to mind:
1. The map is of Spanish origin.
2. The map is part of a Nazi plan to smuggle gold to/from the United States.

1. The purpose of belief behind the thoughts of being Spanish comes from the legend of Hernán Cortés and the Aztec ruler, Montezuma II (aka Moctezuma). As legend has it, Cortés was entreated by Montezuma and his compatriots by touring the site of Tenochtitlan in present-day Mexico (see map).

View attachment 2007264

Upon touring the site, Cortés saw rooms filled with valuable items - mainly gold (again, all stories). There are many accounts of the meeting between these two individuals. According to some maps, Cortés never ventured anywhere near the border of present-day Texas and Mexico. Based on a shortened translation of the Florentine Codex, Book 12, Chapters 16 through 18 detail the Spaniard appropriation of Aztec gold from a place called 'Teocalco.' The Codex does not mention that the Aztecs took flight north to hide the gold.

2. The Nazi plan seems a little easier to comprehend than that of the Spanish/Aztec legend. From November of 1942 to September of 1943, the Italian Fascist regime occupied the island of Corsica until Hitler ordered it be abandoned on 12 September of 1943. Before 1942, there were no mentions of Nazi establishments within Corsica.

At this point, we have a problem. If neither of these legends is true, how did KVM become a map recipient with a phrase such as "Lloro Uracca Enterrari" written on it?

I am not a Latin expert, nor am I good at languages aside from English; however, using some insight on other languages and how to look for interpretations can be challenging but not completely difficult.

I will attempt to provide my own translation to the phrase:

Lloro
As we know, the term 'amarillo' means 'yellow' but is also closely related to 'lloro' by the shear use '-llo.' By Spanish translation, the term 'oro' means 'gold'. Since there isn't a dictionary readily available for the Mexican version of this term, it will have to suffice. If the phrase were indeed completely Latin in origin, the term 'gold' would be 'aurum.' The double "L" in this case extends the term and provides the annunciation of 'yorro.' The closest representation in the Spanish/Mexican language would be 'el oro' or "the gold."

Urraca
This term is pretty interesting. As is, the Spanish/Mexican translation of the term is 'magpie.' If the entire phrase were to actually be put together to mean something, it would be "the gold is buried underground/in a tomb/under the earth." Something interesting to know is that with some Latin phrases, the second word of the phrase is listed in order as the first. For example, I have a tattoo on my left arm of "Ad deditionum ego Christ" which in Latin means "I surrender to Christ." In the Latin phrase, "I" is the third word since "ad deditionum" simply means "to surrender." However, in the formal translation, if I were to place the words exactly as they are in the Latin phrase and translate them into English, it would be "To surrender I Christ." However, since 'Lloro' is not found to be of Latin origin, we must go with the possibility that: 1. there is a mix of languages in the phrase, or 2. each word is of Spanish/Mexican origin. If that is the case, there are many other translations of 'Urraca' to consider.

Let's break down the word into parts. 'Acá' in Spanish/Mexican is an adjective and means "here" or "hither." The use of 'Urr-' is perplexing; however, when I split the word another way, such as 'ur acá,' it comes out meaning "is buried."

Enterrari
This term is actually the easiest of the three to decipher since it can be broken down to "en-" and "terrari." The use of "en-" in most languages is "in" when used in English. Yet again, this is a Spanish/Mexican term because when we place the two parts together and create "enterrari" it is translated as "I buried." If you search or translate 'buried' into Spanish/Mexican, it is pronounced 'enterrada.' The term 'entomb' (could also be translated as 'bury') is pronounced 'enterrar.' Now, it is also possible that the word is misspelled. For instance 'enterrari' means nothing in Spanish/Mexican; however, 'entierra' means "on land."

Combining the terms, we get (or closely get): The gold is buried on land

View attachment 2007288

This is what I believe is the truest translation of the LUE's phrase. My reasoning is that there was likely a translation gap from one individual to the other when providing the handwritten phrase on the back of the document. Remember, if this map was created in the early 19th century or sooner, the possibility is very, very high.

In the next post, I will go through the map identifiers in as many fathomable ways as I can.
Thanks for sharing

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for reading. I plan to keep this thread going with every finding I come across to provide a complete write-up of my thoughts and research to this point and beyond. Thank you for not doing what most do, and chastise me for giving some personal insight. :)
It takes a lot of different horses to make a race. I will never chastise or make fun of anyone's ideas. Sometimes I am a bit flippant but all in good spirit. Looking forward to your next posting.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a lot of different horses to make a race. I will never chastise or make fun of anyone's ideas. Sometimes I am a bit flippant but all in good spirit. Looking forward to your next posting.
And if folks do not like your postings they do not have to read them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread