OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a look at the profile settings. I think I've got it now.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are thousand of sites in Maryland in Virginia. And no one gives up sites anymore. So...you need to develop some of your own. How it is SUPPOSED to work is you do some research or just get lucky and develop a site. Then meet some other detectorists and go with them and then they go with you and on and on.

When the tit for tat breaks down you dump them like a week old cat box and never look back.

Plan B is to go to a paid hunt then learn more about the area to get a new permission.

I recently came across a website that mentions an annual hunt in Culpepper. I emailed them to get more info. Haven't heard back yet.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and you need to learn pinpointing well so as to not make huge holes for small targets./QUOTE]

In my previous reply, I forgot to mention this part of your reply to my original post. Digging huge holes for small targets. This is a concern of mine. I will get a signal, then enter the pinpoint mode. I'll sweep and mark a vertical line in the ground when the signal strength is the loudest (when the indicators on the target ID joins goes up and joins in the middle). Then I'll do it again at 90 degrees, then dig the intersection. After digging out a plug, I'll use the pinpointer and get no signal or maybe the signal is on the edge of where I dug. This causes me to have to dig a larger hole.

Using the 90 degree technique is what the owner's manual says to do, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Another things I noticed is that last week before I would dig the intersection, I would put the pinpointer at or near the intersection to verify the location of the target. I was able to dig small plugs then. However when I used this technique today, after putting the pinpointer at or near the intersection, I didn't get a signal at all. So I don't know how to explain that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my permissions are private, and on all but one I don't even have permission to take anyone with me. It is tough. Research and door knocking is your best bet. Even in a known camp, where you can see the fallen stone and brick chimneys some days its almost impossible to find anything but nails.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my permissions are private, and on all but one I don't even have permission to take anyone with me. It is tough. Research and door knocking is your best bet. Even in a known camp, where you can see the fallen stone and brick chimneys some days its almost impossible to find anything but nails.

I'm expecting most people to say no, but that's just a guess. From your experience, for every 10 people you ask permission, how many will say yes?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread