What's new

lock ID please, well I guess this stumps the experts?

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
1,909
Reaction score
785
Golden Thread
0
Location
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lock ID please, well I guess this stump's the experts?

I found this lock in the eaves of a 1780 farmhouse that I am working on. The size is 3" x 4" x 7/8" the keyhole cover is missing.
any info appreciated thanks in advance,
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • foundtoday 029.webp
    foundtoday 029.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 355
  • foundtoday 033.webp
    foundtoday 033.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 348
  • foundtoday 034.webp
    foundtoday 034.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 354
  • foundtoday 028.webp
    foundtoday 028.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 341
  • foundtoday 034.webp
    foundtoday 034.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 340
  • foundtoday 033.webp
    foundtoday 033.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 342
  • foundtoday 029.webp
    foundtoday 029.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 368
Re: lock ID please

Hello Broken Knee!
Very cool find! :thumbsup:
Does it have any writing on it at all? It doesn't appear to from what I can see.
What is it made from? It looks as if it may be iron in the pics.
I'm sure with all the knowledgeable folks here on TNet, someone will be able to help!
Great job with the tape measure also!

Regards, SkyPilot
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

skypilot02 said:
Hello Broken Knee!
Very cool find! :thumbsup:
Does it have any writing on it at all? It doesn't appear to from what I can see.
What is it made from? It looks as if it may be iron in the pics.
I'm sure with all the knowledgeable folks here on TNet, someone will be able to help!
Great job with the tape measure also!

Regards, SkyPilot
it is iron and there is no writing on it just a peach color milk paint the saving grace is that it was in the eave so it is operable if the key were found.
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

:thumbsup:
If BigCypress or BuckleBoy read this, chances are they'll be able to identify it for you!

Great find, I hope you run across the key while you are working there, that would be fantastic! :thumbsup:

Regards, SkyPilot
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

I couldn't find an exact match, but based on the shape/design of others I looked at, I would guess 1880's or 90's.
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

I have seen and dug pre-CW era locks of this same shape and size. Hard to believe that's that old, because I have never seen one in non-dug condition...but I will do some looking for you.


-Buck
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

I can't help with the age of this lock much, but I can tell you that it takes a warded barrel bit key of some size. HH

Dicks Lock Service
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please

dick99344 said:
I can't help with the age of this lock much, but I can tell you that it takes a warded barrel bit key of some size. HH

Dicks Lock Service
Might you have a pic. of the type of key?
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please, well I guess this stump's the experts?

The shape and side indention of your lock reminds me of the iron one I dug recently. It didn't have any writing on it either, yet it had the company logo in the brass center. I think both of our locks are circa 1850's, but yours could be slightly older. Below are a few pics of mine, and a pic I found on google showing the type of key. Here's an antique lock forum: http://www.antique-locks.com/forum.php

Nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Lock2.webp
    Lock2.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Lock4.webp
    Lock4.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Lock3.webp
    Lock3.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Lock3.webp
    Lock3.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Lock4.webp
    Lock4.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Lock2.webp
    Lock2.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 240
  • AntiquePadlockWithKey.webp
    AntiquePadlockWithKey.webp
    5 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please, well I guess this stump's the experts?

Broken knee said:
I found this lock in the eaves of a 1780 farmhouse that I am working on. The size is 3" x 4" x 7/8" the keyhole cover is missing.
any info appreciated thanks in advance,
Broken Knee

Thanks for the information everyone,
I gave the lock and bottles to the owner of the house. I just wanted to date the lock for his info.
the bottles and lock were posted in Today's finds also under boozers stash
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please, well I guess this stump's the experts?

Breezie said:
The shape and side indention of your lock reminds me of the iron one I dug recently. It didn't have any writing on it either, yet it had the company logo in the brass center. I think both of our locks are circa 1850's, but yours could be slightly older. Below are a few pics of mine, and a pic I found on google showing the type of key. Here's an antique lock forum: http://www.antique-locks.com/forum.php

Nice find, Breezie

That is the typical Barrel bit warded key for that type of lock. The lock would have a single ward. The cut in the bit would pass the ward in the lock and the "Foot" of the bit would trip the release mechanism, usually a spring steel device holding the shackle closed.
You would have to turn the key 360 degrees to open the lock and remove the key. If the bit were blank, meaning uncut, the key would not pass the ward. These keys were usually cast and the bitting (The cut) would be hand finished. The greater the number of wards enclosed within the lock, the better the security. There is a popular modern pad lock made today using this same technology. HH

Dicks Lock Service
 
Upvote 0
Re: lock ID please, well I guess this stump's the experts?

These shape locks were made for a long time, but with this key type, it is most likely later 1800's. Better early locks used lots of wards.

2nd Breezie posted--that's early 1800's up to Sears Catalogue, 1st is in 1897 Sears cat.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom