Long 31 inch Lesche vs Handheld Lesche

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you going to dig? On permissions (lawns) I use a Lesche hand digger. When I am in out of the way places I use a $9.00 shovel from Wally World and when I am in the field I use a modified spade. A home owner may think twice about letting you detect, if you have the 31" shovel in your hand.

You need the right gear for the hunting you plan on doing. Heck I even have 4 coils for my main detector and also have 3 types of detectors. My main one the F75, a water detector and a gold detector.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the long handle Sampson, it's my number one but after the plug is dug I use the smaller trowel.
I don't use it at the parks but wish I could as the ground is sometimes very hard.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you going to dig? On permissions (lawns) I use a Lesche hand digger. When I am in out of the way places I use a $9.00 shovel from Wally World and when I am in the field I use a modified spade. A home owner may think twice about letting you detect, if you have the 31" shovel in your hand.

You need the right gear for the hunting you plan on doing. Heck I even have 4 coils for my main detector and also have 3 types of detectors. My main one the F75, a water detector and a gold detector.

Drop the mic! :headbang:

GunnerPop

Jun 4, 2016
Wilkes county NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received the 31" shovel. With our "challenging" soil, I'm finding that it's much easier to dig a true plug with the shovel than with the handheld tool (which is what I started with).

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Loco, small diggers for lawns whether private or public such as parks and schools. Long handles for woods and fields. If you can't make a 4" diameter or less hole to find a 6-7" coin you need to practice. Smaller holes equal less flak from authorities and others. Pinpointing is paramount and there is no reason to dig big plugs to recover small targets if you are adept at pinpointing.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
For relics in the woods I use a straight handled Lesche shoved, no D, T, or ball handle as I use a hammer holder on my belt to carry the digger, a T type handle won't fit in the hammer loop.

Use the smaller, handheld for hunting in civilization.

iaddrummer

Aug 12, 2015
robinson illinois
Detector(s) used
bh 202 and just bought an original tesoro eldorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am working on getting the 31" to use for local parks and sidwalk strips because our soil is a very hard dry clay this time of year and i beleive i will dig a better plug with a longer handle than fighting it with a hand digger just my two cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions