Long Island Beaches Destroyed, No Detecting for a while!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
Terry---When I see the overhead shots of the beaches around your area and NJ, I see strips and big areas of Black in the sands. Is that Black bedrock, for lack of a better word, or original plain old dirt?

Edit---just read down on TN Gold Prospecting site, the Black I mentioned is washed up Black Sand. Or at least that's what the posted from Maryland says. I thought about that being sand but I've never seen black sand of east coast beaches.

Last edited:
Jesus. Well, maybe it will serve as a blessing in disguise in SOME areas though. Uncovering and working the sands.

We have heavy black sands on some New York beaches. That is indeed black sand. I always giggle at the West Coast guys that tell me my Sand Shark won't handle their black sands. As a metal detectorist I want to get out there right now, but as a 55-year-old man with a lot of life experience, I also know that it would be foolish to go before the roads are open. If I got cut on something, or sprained an ankle I would be in serious trouble, physically and legally. My buddy Joe in Belmar, just got his power back today and there are a lot of folks out there that have no gasoline. Here in Westchester, it is still at least an hour, to two-hours in line for gas.

At the 3:25 mark on the Youtube, they are showing Field #6, or what is left of it. It was a 1/4-mile walk out to the water from the brick building before the storm. You can only imagine what has been uncovered and dragged out..

Here I am an old gold prospector and I've never noticed any black sands on east coast beaches. The goodies you local guys will pull, eventually, boggles my mind. One of the Fox News reporters, on a NJ beach today, said "the sand I'm standing on now was the sand that was here 50 years ago." I guess he meant the pre storm sand is now up in the towns. Several of the TV shots looked like the loaders were cutting through 12 inches of sand in some streets.

claire said:
I am so heart broken. Jones Beach and all the south shore beaches on long island were so prestine and now will be changed forever. This is a sad time for LI

You can't destroy a beach but the buildings built on it.

Here I am an old gold prospector and I've never noticed any black sands on east coast beaches. The goodies you local guys will pull, eventually, boggles my mind. One of the Fox News reporters, on a NJ beach today, said "the sand I'm standing on now was the sand that was here 50 years ago." I guess he meant the pre storm sand is now up in the towns. Several of the TV shots looked like the loaders were cutting through 12 inches of sand in some streets.

In our neck of the woods black sand is regular occurance on some beaches.

As for that reporter, maybe she was standing on sand that hadn't seen daylight in 50 years, but again, on some beaches, more sand not less. One thing is certain, Sandy definately stirred thing up. All bets are off when it comes to preconceived ideas about what beaches will produce.

Native Floridian said:
In our neck of the woods black sand is regular occurance on some beaches.

As for that reporter, maybe she was standing on sand that hadn't seen daylight in 50 years, but again, on some beaches, more sand not less. One thing is certain, Sandy definately stirred thing up. All bets are off when it comes to preconceived ideas about what beaches will produce.

2 weeks of tide cycles buried the good stuff too deep, coins everywhere.

Jones Beach opened yesterday at 1pm, and I was out there this morning at 8am, raring to go! I met my buddy Joe P. out there, and we detected until 3pm. There were at least 25-detectors on the beach at one time or another. Joe did better than I did with about $6.00 in change and some junk jewelry. The damage is extensive, with parts of the boardwalk completely missing, and shacks and buildings just destroyed. Kudos to the beach crews for getting the West End and Field #2 open! I was disappointed with my finds, but enjoyed a great day at the beach with a buddy!

Attachments

• Jones111612 022.jpg
    Jones111612 022.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Jones111612 027.jpg
    Jones111612 027.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Jones111612 031.jpg
    Jones111612 031.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Jones111612 002.jpg
    Jones111612 002.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Jones111612 003.jpg
    Jones111612 003.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 140
Terry,

Glad to see you made it out to swing the coil.....and things are slowly returning to normal in your neck of the
woods.

Regards + HH

Bill

Terry, do you know if any local detecting clubs have offered those who lost their homes or their homes are somewhat burried with sand to help look for any of their lost treasures? On the news this evening, a gentleman was using a tesoro to search his property in order to locate a safe which contained family photoes and what not. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Terry, do you know if any local detecting clubs have offered those who lost their homes or their homes are somewhat burried with sand to help look for any of their lost treasures? On the news this evening, a gentleman was using a tesoro to search his property in order to locate a safe which contained family photoes and what not. Best of luck in your endeavors.

I don't know about clubs, but we have helped a few of our friends on Long Island Sound here in New York, and our next-door neighbors on the beach in Connecticut. Honestly though, with all of the nails, aluminum, brass and copper in the sand it is HARD to find a lost Rosary or Grandma's wedding ring. You are better off just setting up a sifter and shoveling into it - which is what a lot of folks are doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back