LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT!! G.W. INAUGURAL BUTTON!!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
*UPDATE, RESTORED BUTTON* LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT!! G.W. INAUGURAL BUTTON!!

This morning I returned to the field that I think I will call the "CHURCH FIELD". The last two visits were great with a 1787 Conn. Copper, KG II Copper, 1780 1 Reale, 2 really nice Dandy buttons and several other keepers. With this luck I thought that I would bring along my camera. I am glad I did! I LOVE getting field shots of good finds:headbang: I will let the pictures talk and I will post again later. I am still kinda' excited and I have not cleaned up the other finds yet. Bullets, buttons, 1832 Large Cent, clock winding key, etc. I will post more pictures when I get the stuff cleaned up.

Check back later, VPR

UPDATE.......

Not too long after finding the button I sent it to Leonard Short for straightening and restoration. The button arrived today and as you will see in the pictures, Leonard has the magic touch! I never dreamed that the button would come out this good. He also added the shank on the back.
I will be using his services again in the future and I will recomend him to anyone that asks! You wont be disapointed with his work!

Thank You IRON PATCH for giving me his name :notworthy:

Attachments

• 011_1_3.JPG
    011_1_3.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 013_1_3.JPG
    013_1_3.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 014_1_1.JPG
    014_1_1.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 251
  • 016_1_2.JPG
    016_1_2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 019_1_2.JPG
    019_1_2.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 033_1_2.JPG
    033_1_2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 031_1_2.JPG
    031_1_2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 013_1_5.JPG
    013_1_5.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 014_1_2.JPG
    014_1_2.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 015_1_5.JPG
    015_1_5.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 017_1_4.JPG
    017_1_4.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 14

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very,Very nice VPR!!! Congrat's :headbang:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has got to be THE Holy Grail for detectorists [in this category]. My heart always beats fast when I see one. Can anybody give me some stats on the G.W. inaugural button? How many were made? How many are presumed to exist? What are somebody's chances of finding one?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!! I think I'd be tempted to leave it as you found it. I think it tells an interesting story being bent. I heard they were expensive buttons in their day--why would someone go through the trouble of bending one in half??? I'm sure they were not that easy to bend and probably could not have been done by hand. Maybe someone didn't agree with GW's policies once he took office, bent it in half, and tossed it.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Nice find!! I think I'd be tempted to leave it as you found it. I think it tells an interesting story being bent. I heard they were expensive buttons in their day--why would someone go through the trouble of bending one in half??? I'm sure they were not that easy to bend and probably could not have been done by hand. Maybe someone didn't agree with GW's policies once he took office, bent it in half, and tossed it.

I am willing to bet that this button was bent by a plow. I have pictures of this field with corn.

VPR

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice finds. I doubt that I will ever find a GW button down here. Heck, I can't even find a confederate button!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was bent by a plow, wouldn't there be an impact mark on it where it was hit? It would seem that a plow strike would cause significant damage to a button like this, no?

I am willing to bet that this button was bent by a plow. I have pictures of this field with corn.

VPR

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
If it was bent by a plow, wouldn't there be an impact mark on it where it was hit? It would seem that a plow strike would cause significant damage to a button like this, no?

Who knows:dontknow: There are any number of ways that this button could have got bent, we will never know. This is one of those times where you wish a relic could talk. Imagine the story it could tell!

VPR

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Awesome! Awesomemer! Can't wait to see more!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows:dontknow: There are any number of ways that this button could have got bent, we will never know. This is one of those times where you wish a relic could talk. Imagine the story it could tell!

VPR

Fields turn up lots of bent coins and buttons and I have no doubt it's the farming equipment doing it. The bend could have happened 50 years ago and is why there's no shiny part in the crease.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What caught my eye was the bottom right-hand pic in the original post. You can see that the button has been crimped in the same exact spot on both sides of the button. Coupled with the fact that the button is bent precisely in half as well as no plow strike on the button tends to tell me that this button was defaced by hand (probably with a tool). But this is just my observation given the existing photos. :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!!!!!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Here you go, button is nearly straight now and only a few minor wrinkles! 8-)

Repair charge is only $20............. payable in pre-1860 gold coinage please :D

CC Hunter

GW Button.JPG

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:

Great find, I know how much you guys over there feel about finding one of those, must be a great feeling. As for straigning the button, I would have thought it all depends what you want to do with it, sell it, or keep it:icon_scratch: To get that straight will no doubt involve some type of heat, which will affect the patina, and no doubt leave a crease on th underside, if you were to sell it might be best leaving it to the buyer, and let him decide, if you intend to keep it, then I will leave it alone as the patina is very nice....But a great find either way...well done.:headbang:

SS

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool button! :icon_thumright: Your first pic looks familar. like a postcard from Bavaria Germany. :laughing9: ...apart from the detector...

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Here you go, button is nearly straight now and only a few minor wrinkles! 8-)

Repair charge is only $20............. payable in pre-1860 gold coinage please :D

CC Hunter

View attachment 690380

Great job on the repair!! It looks like it may have taken you a while to complete:notworthy: I will be getting the button repaired some time in the future. We will see how close you came.

VPR

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Bump !!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry a GW Button can't disappear of the first page that fast. Another thumbs up for you VPR :icon_thumright:

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread