What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Long shot but any thoughts on this button.

Smilodon

Full Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
200
Reaction score
607
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Went back to the same location today that I found the eagle button with The "R" on the chest. Thanks again with the help on the ID. This button I thought was a 2 piece button at first but one I got home I realized it was only a one piece. I tried my best to take a photo with my phone but this was the best I could do. Once I get some batteries I will take a photo with my digital camera. Any ideas on this one? Thanks,
 

Attachments

  • unnamed (17).webp
    unnamed (17).webp
    111.5 KB · Views: 190
  • unnamed (14).webp
    unnamed (14).webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 109
Great Save on the button. The Eagle "R" button should be a "Rifleman's" button. Well Done and Congrat's.
 
Upvote 0
There used to be a button.. I think maybe a navy button.. that had an eagle on it that looked more like a chicken or buzzard. If you rotate your button, you can kinda make out the "chicken."
Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.11.04 PM.webp
 
Upvote 2
Went back to the same location today that I found the eagle button with The "R" on the chest. Thanks again with the help on the ID. This button I thought was a 2 piece button at first but one I got home I realized it was only a one piece. I tried my best to take a photo with my phone but this was the best I could do. Once I get some batteries I will take a photo with my digital camera. Any ideas on this one? Thanks,
Waiting for the better photo
 
Upvote 3
Went back to the same location today that I found the eagle button with The "R" on the chest. Thanks again with the help on the ID. This button I thought was a 2 piece button at first but one I got home I realized it was only a one piece. I tried my best to take a photo with my phone but this was the best I could do. Once I get some batteries I will take a photo with my digital camera. Any ideas on this one? Thanks,
Better photograph, Hope this one helps
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4546.webp
    IMG_4546.webp
    212.9 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 3
What is the diameter of the button?
 
Upvote 0
Creskol nailed it; early 1800s militia button. Nice find!
 
Upvote 1
He meant 1840's? I think.
 
Upvote 0
I see the Eagle shape. I bet military too, but not necessarily from before 1940's.
It is DEFINITELY from before the 1840s... not 1940s
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom