Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bump for our evening members

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Its probly best ta burn tha evidence, don't hang on to it fer a souvenir.

PS. Unless ye might need it fer an alibi in tha future, then ye should consider a safe deposit box.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I've used the PVC... buried..Schedule 80, not the cheap crap. A 4-6" tube with a cap glued on one end and a cleanout on the other..Silicone on the threads before tightening cleanout. After a 2 year test contents inside were still in decent condition, but had drawn moisture through the (sweating?)..not too bad though.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The PVC is one the prepper favorites. PVC can do some nasty stuff to paper though as can the VOC from some of the glues. Using low VOC glue and sealing the papers/pictures in acid free bags can help.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the PVC... buried..Schedule 80, not the cheap crap. A 4-6" tube with a cap glued on one end and a cleanout on the other..Silicone on the threads before tightening cleanout. After a 2 year test contents inside were still in decent condition, but had drawn moisture through the (sweating?)..not too bad though.

You can keep the moisture down with desiccate. If you have a welder flooding the pipe with argon before capping can help a lot.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about wrapping papers in ladies panties?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nope...papers fall out of panties...
tp_skirt.jpg

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that toilet tissue?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say rolling papers ?

Oh... nevermind.

No advice... sorry... don't bury... i usually do the opposite :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I'm going to barf from excessive laughter.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Desiccate as mentioned , a must. For aditional potential drying at lower cost or lack of large disiccate , an opened bag of rice can be added.

Acid in paper must be considered too to not corrupt pictures. Pictures should be isolated anyways after a copy of them is put on a flash drive,to insure they exist should the originals suffer.

A 30-50 gallon seal top barrel below frost line is a good start.
5 gallon pails with gamma seal lids with tape sealing the lids can go in the larger barrel.

With caution , sealed durable containers can be immersed in buried oil too.

Frozen ground , or eye traffic ,or sky eyes can make a cache site tough to access if you need to make a deposit or recovery urgently.

Trees are vulnerable to a host of interference's. From natural ,to human.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Build a bomb shelter multiple purpose when your in the dog house with the wife just go there so the dog can get some sleep

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this! Polyethylene and it has a thick rubber seal inside the lid.

First I bought them just for restoration and put chemicals in it. Later I figured out this are the best containers to bury them with stored food, important papers etc.

They are available in different sizes from 10 to 200 liters and the lid closes waterproof.

basic-nature-weithalstonne-rund-packsack.jpg

If someone don´t like regular backpacks for any reason, he can by the 30 liter square containers and put two of them on a backpack like this:

41AUt2-GL0L.jpg

Nothing will get wet anymore and you can use the closed containers include all stuff in it as a floating aid if you have to cross a river etc.

Also if you make boat tours, this is the best way to store things and if they go over board, they will always float!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where?

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I am back, after 14 months of hospital and rehab. Storing anything long term is best stored in mylar bags using a vacuum sealer, then individual bags can be stored in a pvc pipe, as mentioned. To further insure contents remain in pristine condition put a disposable hand warmer in the pvc pipe before sealing. The hand warmer will absorb the oxygen in the pvc pipe to create a partial vacuum. Good Luck.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am back, after 14 months of hospital and rehab. Storing anything long term is best stored in mylar bags using a vacuum sealer, then individual bags can be stored in a pvc pipe, as mentioned. To further insure contents remain in pristine condition put a disposable hand warmer in the pvc pipe before sealing. The hand warmer will absorb the oxygen in the pvc pipe to create a partial vacuum. Good Luck.

Congrats on your survival rockhound. That's a very long go for anybody-best wishes going forward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions