Long weekend at new area-Lots of nice stuff found

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
The weekend started with an impromptu hunt Friday after work with Mirage. We checked out a foundation spot that hadn't been hunted yet. Bob came away with a nice Merc and some wheats. I found more wheats and a decent 1915 Buffalo nickle.
1915buff_pic1.jpg
Saturday and Sunday I decided to "share in the bounty" of the new area and brought two different groups in. Saturday Dave (Zoso here on TNet) and Don (from the DFXOnly site) came along for what was literally a dawn to dusk hunt. We started in the area where all the large cents have been found (I was hoping Don would get his first) but it looks like Mirage and I cleaned the area out pretty well. The three of us pounded the area hard. I came away with some beautiful old buttons, including one of those huge "Dandy" buttons with the shank still attached.
dandybutton_pic2.jpg
One of the other flat buttons had a nice design on the back
flatbuttonrev_pic5.jpg
Here are the buttons I found Saturday all together
satbuttons_pic6.jpg
Towards the end of the day, in the last area we hunted I pulled an 1883 Indian Head in outstanding condition! This IH is FAR cleaner than anything I have seen come out of the ground, with a nice dark green patina, sharp full details and a non-porous surface.
1883IH_pic3.jpg
1883IHrev_pic4.jpg
Here are all of Saturday's finds for me, including numerous musketballs, both dropped and fired and the tops from two oil lamps
satfinds_pic7.jpg
Sunday I went back with Bob and Nate (after a great breakfast at a local hole in the wall 24 hr restaurant)
Here Bob and Nate unload gear. The orange vests were needed because we shared the woods with bowhunters.
BobNate_pic8.jpg
While all I found was a few modern tokens and some wheats, Bob and Nate both scored. Near a VERY old foundation and well, Bob pulled an 1893 IH in what should be great condition.
1898IH_pic9.jpg
And the Nate finally found his first large cent, an 1827 Coronet. Here it is uncleaned.
1827Coronet_pic8.jpg

There are still over a dozen sites in this area that I haven't checked out yet. I am sure there's more to be found.
I also want to get back into the well area where Nate found his LC with my camera (I left it in the car) to take some pictures of the "haunted" wall I found. It is huge and stretches off into the distance forever. All stacked stone and in the middle of nowhere. Twice I was spooked as I swear I heard my name called from behind me. Twice I turned to find no one there. Later when I asked a bowhunter in the woods about the wall, he laughed and said that it was supposed to be haunted. It was very creepy and I am not one to be disturbed by stuff like that.

HH all!

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Coins and nice buttons ,good stuff.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking IH. Good when your rewarded in that way :)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Palmetto Digger said:
Great story. If you find any information on that wall post the details. Sounds interesting.

About that wall. When I came across it I thought "hmmm..stacked stone wall..all collapsed..neat" and decided to follow it and detect along it's base. And then it kept going...and going...back and back further into the woods. And the further back it went the more complete it was, standing about 6 feet high and perhaps 2 feet thick. And the woods further back were far older and darker with a full canopy overhead. The darkness and the setting was making for a very gloomy feeling. I followed it for close to 1/2 mile and still could not see the end. After the two "incidents" where I heard my name called (and BTW, I checked with Mirage...it wasn't him calling me on the two-ways-his radio had died) I kinda got REAL spooked and left the area.
Later, when talking to the bowhunter about the wall, I asked him if he knew how far back it went. After saying 'that wall has bad joo-joo" he said that he had never had the "nerve" to follow the wall all the way but said his friend said it eventually turned back towards the cliffs and well where Nate found his LC.
It must have been an insane amount of work stacking all those stones. Maybe they were brought up while plowing and used to mark the property boundries. Problem with that theory is that the area there is hilly and totally rocky and covered with cliffs...not exactly farming ground.
Very strange.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
That Indian Head Penny has to be one of if not the best I've seen. Congratulations on some great finds.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dan,
I still am surprised that no more coins were found in that area that produced the barber and 4 old coppers. It only took us about 3 hours to find all the coins....very surprising since we didn't do any part of the back of the property.

Sunday turned out pretty good - it was very nice that Nate got that LC. Again, we owe you. It's funny how things work out. What are the chances of Nate finding the LC - 1 out of 3?

As nice as the finds are Dan I think I am ready for some hunted out parks. ;D :D These "jungle" hunts are pretty tough. :P

Bob

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
kg6yll said:
That Indian Head Penny has to be one of if not the best I've seen. Congratulations on some great finds.

Thanks kg6yll

Here's a couple more pics from when I was putting olive oil on it. Kinda greasy looking still but you can see detail better.

Attachments

• 1883rev.jpg
    1883rev.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 1883obv.jpg
    1883obv.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,101
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
Dan,
I still am surprised that no more coins were found in that area that produced the barber and 4 old coppers. It only took us about 3 hours to find all the coins....very surprising since we didn't do any part of the back of the property.

Bob-something I forgot to mention. As Don Dave and I worked further back into that property, Don found another old well (much older, stone-lined) and another cellarhole (outbuilding maybe)
Further back was a HUGE bottle dump and LOTS of trash (early 1900s stuff)
We became tired of trying to find decent targets amongst the trash and left. I'm not saying there's NO good targets there ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Danimal said:
There are still over a dozen sites in this area that I haven't checked out yet. I am sure there's more to be found.
I also want to get back into the well area where Nate found his LC with my camera (I left it in the car) to take some pictures of the "haunted" wall I found. It is huge and stretches off into the distance forever. All stacked stone and in the middle of nowhere. Twice I was spooked as I swear I heard my name called from behind me. Twice I turned to find no one there. Later when I asked a bowhunter in the woods about the wall, he laughed and said that it was supposed to be haunted. It was very creepy and I am not one to be disturbed by stuff like that.

HH all!

Dan, after your wall encounter Nate and I went looking for it. We walked a long way and never saw it. We concluded that it was only visible to those it could haunt! ;) ;D :D

Bob

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lotsa goodies...WTG!!!

Very nice finds, Danimal....Congrats!!!

HH,
SgtSki

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
Dan, after your wall encounter Nate and I went looking for it. We walked a long way and never saw it. We concluded that it was only visible to those it could haunt! ;) ;D :D

Bob

First of all Bob...the fact that you couldn't find that wall...to me...only lends to the strange factor. How you could miss it I have no idea.

I'm taking Spencer there for a hike this weekend and to snap some pics. I asked a friend from work if he wanted to go there and check it out this Wed. after work (Halloween) and he declined. :o

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Dan,

Thanks for the invite Saturday.. I had a ball...
Was that wall near the last place we hunted on Saturday with Don?

I found a nice pocket watch (silver plated) that still had the crystal
Right near the spot you found the IH. Talk about a heart stopper..Digging a 8 inch deep $1.00 signal and seeing the silver back of the watch..

I will say this...That entire area is old... Many old wells and bottle dumps...

Great detailed research on your part.. And alot more great finds are sure to come!

HH
ZoSo71

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
ZoSo71 said:
Dan,

Thanks for the invite Saturday.. I had a ball...
Was that wall near the last place we hunted on Saturday with Don?

I found a nice pocket watch (silver plated) that still had the crystal
Right near the spot you found the IH. Talk about a heart stopper..Digging a 8 inch deep $1.00 signal and seeing the silver back of the watch..

I will say this...That entire area is old... Many old wells and bottle dumps...

Great detailed research on your part.. And alot more great finds are sure to come!

HH
ZoSo71

The spot the Coronet cent was found at is a few miles from where we hunted, but on the same State-owned land.
And you're welcome on the invite.
You look pooped in this picture from when we stopped to rest:

Attachments

• tiredZoso_pic2.jpg
    tiredZoso_pic2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,062

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
LOL..I was a little tired....But excited about the hunt.. I was prolly sitting on a LC.... That area no doubt has more of them hidden!... Too bad daylight is so short now!

HH
ZoSo71

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Great post, Dan. The IH is absolutely beautiful...my favorite coin!

The stone wall intrigues me because in certain parts of my area, we also have stone walls that stretch for miles. These are in the wide open spaces, for the most part, and meander over hill and dale through terrain that is more wasteland than anything else. Not farmable on any kind of large scale due to the lack of water and covered with stones hurled from our nearby (sleeping) volcano. Like your haunted wall, these don't make any sense other than as a way to clear the fields for roads, rail lines and such, while making use of the free raw materials for boundary markers or perhaps livestock barriers. The walls are fairly short, no higher than 4', so I'm not sure if they'd work to keep anything in or anything out. Since I was a kid, I was told that they were built by the Chinese who worked on the railroad, but no one ever seemed to really know why.

MP

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Dan - Bob and the gang...

You guys really know how to love life up there in Ohio...

Another sweet adventure...And WAY COOL finds...

My hat goes off to you guys...CONGRATULATIONS...

Nick

Nothing like being out in the woods all day beating aside pricker bushes! Both of my forearms look like a wildcat went nuts on them. I also got a bad patch of poison SOMETHING on my left arm and am trying like the dickens to not stratch it.

Of course you're right though Nick. Getting out in the fresh air exploring the woods is better than a sharp stick in the eye! (but then again...I DID get a sharp stick in the eye...so let me rethink that cliche :D)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread