Looking at the X-TERRA 705. . . any advice??

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a great machine with several cool feature. Ability to swap coils and change frequency is a BIG one. Great machine for the $. I have a really nice package for the Minelab X-Terra 705 on my site.

Holler with questions! Bart

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had great fun and success with my 705 as my first detector, before I got my e-trac...before I got my CTX.
Come to think of it, never mind. That machine has cost me $$thousands$$!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very light, couldn't be easier to get started with, very easy to become familiar with and got me re-hooked on this hobby. Found enough goodies with mine my first season to justify upgrading to the etrac to my wife.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say enough good things about 'em. It's where my Minelab addiction started.
And it's good enough that I'll never be without one, regardless of what else I may have.

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, what's really the difference between the 705 and the 705 gold?

PTP

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltab Parson said:
Thanks guys, what's really the difference between the 705 and the 705 gold?

PTP

I believe the only difference is the coil. E gold has the higher number frequency coil.

I just got my 705 and the damn ground froze the day before it was delivered. Winter was late to show up now wont go away. If you were closer to me, you could come give mine a try.
Gerry

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BUY ONE!!!!!:thumbsup:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the gold comes with the 5x10" dd as opposed to the concentric. If you ever plan on nugget shooting with it then you are going to want the elliptical coil anyways. I have both coils but always use the elliptical. Not the deepest detector but very nice to swing.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the gold comes with the 5x10" dd as opposed to the concentric. If you ever plan on nugget shooting with it then you are going to want the elliptical coil anyways. I have both coils but always use the elliptical. Not the deepest detector but very nice to swing.
Yes, the Gold Pack comes with the 5x10" HF eliptical, and the standard comes with the 9" MF concentric. Minelab has also just made available a 2-coil package that has both.

The 705 can run deep with a coil on that's intended for depth. But as with any machine, the bigger the coil the more likely that you'll miss the smallest targets. I've got two 15" coils, and I find deep stuff at sites that have been hammered by detectorists for years that they simply couldn't reach. I'm not looking for tiny stuff with it...I'm primarily a coin shooter. When it comes to depth, coil size matters.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the X70 and love it. I have had a alot of other MDs but this X70 really does it all. It is super lightweight, easy to operate and when you understand what it is telling you, the fun really begins. It really doesn't take long to learn the basics with the X-terras. Just buy one, you will be very happy.Change the coil, change the frequency and hunt everything.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say enough good things about 'em. It's where my Minelab addiction started.
And it's good enough that I'll never be without one, regardless of what else I may have.

That is too funny.... Minelab addiction..... hahahahaha

I feel your pain! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread