Looking For Advice about Numbers/Letters carved on Stone

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
I'm leaning on survey marker, same depth of carvings I've seen before on old survey stuff, often on a tombstone shaped rock about that size. But the quartz piece bugs me. They always put that quartz stuff or out of place granite pieces on sites I am familiar with. Usually shaped like a diamond or heart. That quartz piece doesn't seem placed very long ago though with the leaves.... I'm guessing that's not where you found it...

Sorry to hear of your wife Bwb... I can't imagine the life struggles you are going thru.
I go back and forth, I cannot decide what exactly the thing could be.... it drives me crazy and keeps me up at night lol.... After all the research I've done all I can say for sure is that it is still a mystery. I've already explained my thoughts and research that pretty much rules out survey marker. Plus the content of the carving itself has no information relating to the surveys I've found for this section, it's divisions, or the township/ quadrangle/ range. Although I did notice that it is exactly 600 feet from one of the original property boundaries.

As far as the quartz and pulley, they were found burried in the center of the oval arrangement of rocks, less than a foot deep, with the quartz placed in the center of the pulley, just as the pictures show. They're original positions were disturbed and removed when I first came across the spot by my over enthusiastic but well meaning metal detecting partner. It wasn't until months later that I noticed the rock with letters and numbers carved in it. Since then I have returned the pulley and quartz to the center of the rock oval, just in case it is a grave. It seemed like the smart, respectful thing to do rather than risk a possible haunting . Just in case.....

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Q is giving you good advice. Question on pulley. Do you know the exact placement with stone in the middle. You have the right idea on how to look at stones. The large inscription is just a part to either help you or send you off the trail. Pay attention to the small stuff. Yes guys some stones are small enough to carry away.....
I thought I should mention that the stone is actually quite a bit larger than it appears in the pictures. I've only shown it in the pictures looking straight down at it. After carefully removing some of the earth around the stone, it was revealed to be almost completely burried, with only the very top visible above the soil and leaves. It's actually taller/thicker than what you see (probably a foot or more thick)and more square in shape at it's base. It could be moved or carried, but it would be a chore for sure.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I go back and forth, I cannot decide what exactly the thing could be.... it drives me crazy and keeps me up at night lol.... After all the research I've done all I can say for sure is that it is still a mystery. ...
Yeah, it's frustrating. Some things will never be known without good intel. It seems you've done a ton of work and have apparently turned up nothing much to satisfy your curiosity.

Question: just because the stone is enigmatic, why are you presumably thinking it has something to do with "buried treasure"? Like so many "clues" folks run across (carvings, cairns, pareidolia rocks, et al), nearly all have other meanings. Is there a good reason for your hopes, or just wishful thinking?

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Yeah, it's frustrating. Some things will never be known without good intel. It seems you've done a ton of work and have apparently turned up nothing much to satisfy your curiosity.

Question: just because the stone is enigmatic, why are you presumably thinking it has something to do with "buried treasure"? Like so many "clues" folks run across (carvings, cairns, pareidolia rocks, et al), nearly all have other meanings. Is there a good reason for your hopes, or just wishful thinking?
My reasoning that inspired me to suspect and hunt for "burried treasure" in the area was the two different old men that showed up when I was a kid. We did not know either of them and both were complete strangers to my family. Both showed up alone, years apart from each other and both said that there was treasure or gold on the property. I was far too young to join the conversation or ask questions at the time and my parents were suspicious of them and ran the strangers off before much conversation could be had. I have tried to pick my parents brain's about the incidents and while they do remember both occasions with the old dudes as well as their claims of treasure, they couldnt remember any specifics or details of their conversations that would add any evidence or validity to my treasure hunt. One thing i can say for certain is that the carving and cairns about the property are man made features and are not a result of pareidolia. I have tried to avoid pareidolia style "clues" and general gestalting of the situation (Such as face rocks and other subjective "clues"). I think all of us interested in these subjects would fall into the "wishful thinking" category.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My reasoning that inspired me to suspect and hunt for "burried treasure" in the area was the two different old men that showed up when I was a kid. We did not know either of them and both were complete strangers to my family. Both showed up alone, years apart from each other and both said that there was treasure or gold on the property. I was far too young to join the conversation or ask questions at the time and my parents were suspicious of them and ran the strangers off before much conversation could be had. I have tried to pick my parents brain's about the incidents and while they do remember both occasions with the old dudes as well as their claims of treasure, they couldnt remember any specifics or details of their conversations that would add any evidence or validity to my treasure hunt. One thing i can say for certain is that the carving and cairns about the property are man made features and are not a result of pareidolia. I have tried to avoid pareidolia style "clues" and general gestalting of the situation (Such as face rocks and other subjective "clues"). I think all of us interested in these subjects would fall into the "wishful thinking" category.
Okay, that's a solid enough reason to keep at it.

If each of those two separate strangers had reason enough to approach your family about hidden riches onsite, it seems most likely that if the loot exists(ed), whoever owned the property back in the day had something to do with it. If it were me and I was otherwise out of ideas, I'd run a notice in the local papers asking the for any information the old-timers in the area might recall about rumors surrounding the place and/or the person who owned it. If you get a response, maybe it will trigger something you can use.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds now more like ancient Greek burial stones. They are deeper underground rise up out of ground. But those surround the grave or center stone.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I should mention that the stone is actually quite a bit larger than it appears in the pictures. I've only shown it in the pictures looking straight down at it. After carefully removing some of the earth around the stone, it was revealed to be almost completely burried, with only the very top visible above the soil and leaves. It's actually taller/thicker than what you see (probably a foot or more thick)and more square in shape at it's base. It could be moved or carried, but it would be a chore for sure.

Can you make a sketch or outline of the general shape of stone from side view (or back-front)? Part out of ground get narrower (curve any)?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trieye, look down the line on stone at ground level. The whole stone layout is not common to what I have seen. Although there is information on that stone. Can you show the stone behind the small tree next to stone. North side if I remember right. Also show other stones in oval. Is this possible an eye shape. What is west also? You mentioned 600' that is the Jesuits measurements. They used 600' circles. Also go 350' west. Since I'm sure where you at on your site. I'm guessing. You have to find the center of your site. That stone is giving you a direction. I see123 on that stone. You will to if you look at a ground level. I see other numbers that I've seen before. Those letters are possible numbers. They kind look like the number 177. If that is right. Remember they sometimes are just the opposite of what you see. That could mean your at the 357°. Really without seeing more I'm again guessing if your at the 357. You should be able to find more stones at either a 267° or 87°. Try measuring 300 to 350'. It here is near the water line or old creek. Look for a stone that looks like a foot shaped stone. See what you find. Have you found any large stones? One you will not move with a machine. Have you found a Lion shaped stone. Ive found one out in Arizona looking east. The western sites are huge so you can learn a lot from them. On my site I didn't know with way he was looking. It was moved when we made a road. It was after that i noticed what he was. They could have other shapes on them. If you find that Male lion then you will know whether you have a royal site or just a stash. You do have something there. What? We will only know if you find it. Keep taking pictures. There are a lot on knowledge on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread