Looking For Advice about Numbers/Letters carved on Stone

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Can you post pictures of pulley. I've seen all type of things used on a site. The shape of things are important as well. When you find stuff dont move them they can show you the way. That pulley may represent the circle. The quartz may be the center. . Then again it may not be anything. That stone does have information on it. It will give you more information with the right light and angles. It has to be worked.
Sure thing, I keep forgetting to get some pictures of the pulley. Unfortunately it has been moved from it's original position and location though
I do have some better pictures of the stone under some different lighting conditions that make the characters a little more legible while at the same time raising more questions.
This is what I was calling the oval of rocks.
IMG_20220212_085751849.jpg
In this first image I am standing at the south end looking North-ish opposite the stone.

IMG_20220107_133314953_HDR.jpg

The stone.

View attachment 2009556
Stone after snow.

Close ups of the Letters:
IMG_20220107_133305420.jpg
IMG_20220107_133220411.jpg

IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_20220123_182014874~2.jpg
IMG_20220123_182229925~2.jpg
IMG_20220123_182014874~2.jpg
Note the odd first letter....Is it an upsidedown T? Or, an uppercase I with a very small horizonal upper line? Maybe one of those back to back JJ "anchors" ? Also note the use of the period in the wrong place between the first character and the E. Also worth mention is the middle horizontal line of the E points downward.

Close ups of numbers:
IMG_20220107_132429749_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220107_133224207_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220123_181947955.jpg
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

Note the last character(s)..... Is it a 0? Two 0s? The number 3 on it's side? W? Maybe a partial heart?

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_182100571.jpg
    IMG_20220123_182100571.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220107_132432483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220107_132432483_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220107_132429749_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220107_132429749_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220107_133018539_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220107_133018539_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Sorry bout all the attachments, not sure how I managed that. Anyway...

These are close ups of the area that is pecked out above the numbers on the right side of the stone.
Screenshot_20220123-145247.png
Screenshot_20220123-144634.png
When I first traced the outline, it looked like a chicken or bird of some kind...
Screenshot_20220123-150057-203.png
Screenshot_20220123-144942-172.png
On another day, I got the stone wet around the outline and was surprised to see this
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG

What does everyone else see here? I don't want to taint your answers with what i see from my perspective.

And lastly, I discovered another mark
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG

It looks like a right angle. Or maybe a + or cross that has partially eroded?

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Also notice the dramatic difference in neatness and quality of the letters compared to the sloppy peckings that form the numbers. Almost like it was done by two different people...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for some help deciphering a stone with some letters/numbers/symbols carved into it. It was found at one end of an elongated oval of rocks oriented north/south, approximately 8 or so feet long and maybe a foot or two wide. At the center of the oval of rocks, buried beneath the surface was a fist size chunk of bright white quartz with what appears to be a large pulley wheel with the spokes broken out placed around the quartz. The rock with the carvings is on the north end of the oval of rocks and is the only stone that forms the north end.

The description of your site, matches the same descriotion given to me by a search team. It was discoved while searching for treasure caves, according to a Spanish Jesuit document & map. I no longer have the document, but can still remember some details. A ship wrecked off an island, off the coast of Central/South America (once had GE maps also). The team emailed me a photo of a large cave entrance they found. Then a site found similar to yours.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure wish still had the Jesuit document now. Don't know how these searchers were able to get it. But was in my older computer running WIXP and then it crashed. Told how treasure was divided up and put inside of 2 caves. One of them had the jewels. A small cave had a flat rock placed over the entrance.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not possible, most likely just coincidental... but shape on stone this photo, outline is same as Jesuit island mentioned above. I could use it as a map to mark the exact location of shipwreck. Right now don't even know which ocean you would be close to.

Attachments

• IMG_1253-island.JPG
    IMG_1253-island.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried clearing up and cropping slightly, now really looks like the island. You might not be any near coast, looks more to be wishful thinking.

Attachments

• IMG_1253-island_2.jpg
    IMG_1253-island_2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I followed the line south from the stone and about 3/4 of the way up the ridge my metal detector alerted me to this axe head burried less than a few inches under the soil. There are lots of unusual shaped rocks within view and on the hillside nearby. Some as small as a fist, a bread box, all the way up to as large as a volkswagon. At the same elevation on the hillside nearby I found the bottom of a large cast iron pot and two 3-4 foot tall earth mounds, kinda weird on a steep hillside.... I haven't had enough time to make it all the way up to the top of the hill this week I'll keep updating when I can.
In your post of Jan. 7th, you stated that your site is in central Arkansas. Treasure has been found in that area by treasure hunters detecting in a line from one clue to another. Sometimes the clues are buried a few inches under the soil and picked up by a metal detector, like the axe head that you found. Hopefully, you remember the direction that the blade on the axe was pointing. I hope you keep detecting the original line, to the top of the bluff, looking for other metal artifacts, as well as stone clues. The buried clues are to keep you going in a specific direction and may include bent rod or wire, horseshoes, tools, nails and other types of metal objects.

An important thing to remember is that carvings can be added to or removed. A rock with a carving on it can be picked up and carried away. It sounds like you have a limited time to search, so, in my opinion, searching for clues on a line might be your best bet.

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take as many pictures from stone in every direction possible. Take coordinates of most stones associated. Just catching up with the post but at a close look I've seen areas of interest as well. I see a number 3 in the first pic above the T .... and a cross in the second pic.

Attachments

• IMG-2546.jpg
    IMG-2546.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-2547.jpg
    IMG-2547.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 36

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked like a nose with mouth in this pic. So, tried clearing it up a bit, hoping for a better view.

Attachments

• IMG_1262-head.JPG
    IMG_1262-head.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is again, cropped a little off bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_1262-head-top.jpg
    IMG_1262-head-top.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back away view.

Attachments

• IMG_1281-lite.JPG
    IMG_1281-lite.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1281-lite-crop.jpg
    IMG_1281-lite-crop.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do we have an owl?

Attachments

• IMG_1281-lite-owl.jpg
    IMG_1281-lite-owl.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure thing, I keep forgetting to get some pictures of the pulley. Unfortunately it has been moved from it's original position and location though
I do have some better pictures of the stone under some different lighting conditions that make the characters a little more legible while at the same time raising more questions.
This is what I was calling the oval of rocks.
View attachment 2009622 In this first image I am standing at the south end looking North-ish opposite the stone.

View attachment 2009561
The stone.
I'm changing my earlier comment and now speculating that the lower right carving seems clearly to be "1930", which obviously may be a date.

What was the state of affairs of the property in 1930? Who owned it, what structures and other improvements were there, etc? 1930 was right after the stock market crash, just as the Depression was affecting most of the country. This was when folks lost faith in banks and started hiding their gold and silver on their properties.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
I'm changing my earlier comment and now speculating that the lower right carving seems clearly to be "1930", which obviously may be a date.

What was the state of affairs of the property in 1930? Who owned it, what structures and other improvements were there, etc? 1930 was right after the stock market crash, just as the Depression was affecting most of the country. This was when folks lost faith in banks and started hiding their gold and silver on their properties.
My first thought was that it was the year 1930, also, and that was one of the reasons I was thinking that it was a grave. Upon closer inspection though there is definitely another round character after the first zero. And if it were a grave, why not make the letters and numbers all face the same direction or continue the clean carving style of the letters rather than the messy peckings that form the number? Not to mention there are much better rocks that could have been used for a gravestone or monument within 10 or 20 feet of the spot. Arkansas had specific requirements for the size shape and placement of survey stones also and there are rocks that fit those requirements much better within easy reach as well. I have not been able to confirm the property’s history or owners after 1873, and I’m not sure how to go about finding their information either. At least I haven’t had any luck finding it online. I guess I would have to go to the local county records office and request the information? I have discovered that a copy of the original owners will and probate records were donated to a local university’s archive, but aren’t available online either.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Can you post pictures of pulley. I've seen all type of things used on a site. The shape of things are important as well. When you find stuff dont move them they can show you the way. That pulley may represent the circle. The quartz may be the center. . Then again it may not be anything. That stone does have information on it. It will give you more information with the right light and angles. It has to be worked.
Here is the Pulley and quartz...
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
1 E , 1930 or 193G ? No idea what it means. Might be only part of the marker. Might even be an old grave with the scattered rocks. The quartz is interesting, might be a mine nearby. The pully could be associated with a mine shaft or an old well. Interesting finding so far. I'd probably keep at it. Look for tree carvings and old "Y" shaped trees or old ones with a limb that's kinda Square U shaped.

Another thing, hold up a mirror to your rock. The "1 E "has dots at the top of the numbers and letters, try upside and mirrored.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 E , 1930 or 193G ? No idea what it means. Might be only part of the marker. Might even be an old grave with the scattered rocks. The quartz is interesting, might be a mine nearby. The pully could be associated with a mine shaft or an old well. Interesting finding so far. I'd probably keep at it. Look for tree carvings and old "Y" shaped trees or old ones with a limb that's kinda Square U shaped.

Another thing, hold up a mirror to your rock. The "1 E "has dots at the top of the numbers and letters, try upside and mirrored.
Q is giving you good advice. Question on pulley. Do you know the exact placement with stone in the middle. You have the right idea on how to look at stones. The large inscription is just a part to either help you or send you off the trail. Pay attention to the small stuff. Yes guys some stones are small enough to carry away. If it's a site that has a history with the priests there will be many stones with the same information on them. You will find larger stones that will have the topography. But a hill may be shown as a depression. I see a 45° angle at the end of a line. So look for a valley that has that feature. Just about every mark on a stone has meaning. Now is it a good marking or bad. Knowing the stories of the Bible will help you. Those number may have to do with part of the coordinates. They will not give you the whole number but do give you something to work with. Some are clues from the Bible. Where you are on the site will have a clue. From the Garden of eden to the wedding party. The pit of Satan also. More than likely if the site is uncovered it's been found. But maybe not. That's why its called treasure hunting. The stones will give you the information if you study them.
I'm busy these days with wife of 41yrs fight with cancer. 2 more months of chemotherapy and then maybe I can get back to it. There are still sites to uncover

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Q is giving you good advice. Question on pulley. Do you know the exact placement with stone in the middle. You have the right idea on how to look at stones. The large inscription is just a part to either help you or send you off the trail. Pay attention to the small stuff. Yes guys some stones are small enough to carry away. If it's a site that has a history with the priests there will be many stones with the same information on them. You will find larger stones that will have the topography. But a hill may be shown as a depression. I see a 45° angle at the end of a line. So look for a valley that has that feature. Just about every mark on a stone has meaning. Now is it a good marking or bad. Knowing the stories of the Bible will help you. Those number may have to do with part of the coordinates. They will not give you the whole number but do give you something to work with. Some are clues from the Bible. Where you are on the site will have a clue. From the Garden of eden to the wedding party. The pit of Satan also. More than likely if the site is uncovered it's been found. But maybe not. That's why its called treasure hunting. The stones will give you the information if you study them.
I'm busy these days with wife of 41yrs fight with cancer. 2 more months of chemotherapy and then maybe I can get back to it. There are still sites to uncover
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health, I sincerely hope that things will start getting better for you both over the next couple months. I appreciate that you have taken the time to read the thread and share some of your knowledge and expertise with me. Hopefully I will have more to share soon

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm leaning on survey marker, same depth of carvings I've seen before on old survey stuff, often on a tombstone shaped rock about that size. But the quartz piece bugs me. They always put that quartz stuff or out of place granite pieces on sites I am familiar with. Usually shaped like a diamond or heart. That quartz piece doesn't seem placed very long ago though with the leaves.... I'm guessing that's not where you found it...

Sorry to hear of your wife Bwb... I can't imagine the life struggles you are going thru.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread