Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 2

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI, I am new to gold prospecting and have been wondering if there are any good spots for gold panning in southwestern Colorado, specifically the Durango area. any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Erik :)
Kevin in Colorado is a member of this forum and is the author of the book Finding Gold in Colorado. Find it on line or where prospecting supplies are sold there in Colorado or maybe a book store. Likely one of the best resources for you.

Good luck.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, I am new to gold prospecting and have been wondering if there are any good spots for gold panning in southwestern Colorado, specifically the Durango area. any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Erik :)
The Silverton area going north will be your best bet that area has a lot of gold up there still. Just be real careful in those mountains this time of year the weather changes quickly and you can get caught in a gully washer and it ain’t no fun I can speak personally about that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Silverton area going north will be your best bet that area has a lot of gold up there still. Just be real careful in those mountains this time of year the weather changes quickly and you can get caught in a gully washer and it ain’t no fun I can speak personally about that.
I have made several trips from Durango to Silverton beautiful area, and even made a couple in the dead of winter when the snow banks on the roadside were almost to the top of the telephone poles.

OP
OP
Erik H

Erik H

Greenie
May 17, 2022
Durango Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make sure to bring my gold panning stuff with me next time I'm up that way

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread