Looking for hardrock info!

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may seem hard to believe for most of you, but I am a Dowser that can dowse my way to quartz veins with gold showing in the quartz. In one day I found three, one was three miles I chased the signal. You can see the gold in the ore, and it's not pyrite, or mica. I know where the veins are, and I have sent samples to be assayed. But that is all I know on what to do. I need assistance.....Dowser

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are you looking for assistance with?

OP
OP
D

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now know that I can consistantly find quartz veins, and also other mineralized veins. But are they worth the trouble to mine? Some of the veins are 4" while others are only 2". They don't continue for long, some 30'. Many places don't have road access, and at the most I'm not sure I would get a ton of ore. I pass many quartz veins, some looking verry mineralized, buy I don't signal them very well. I am using a gold signaling device, and being led to a specific spot in the vein. The ore I am sampling looks like it could carry gold, but I don't want to spend the money to assay if it's not worth the trouble to get. I understand about claim jumping and I don't take any ore if it looks like a claim area. I GPS the spot, but being able to find veins is easy., turning them into money isn"t. I see gold in some of the samples, but I am still waiting on my first assay result. I could be wrong and mayby I it isn't gold, but for fact I am being led right to heavely mineralized ore. Sometimes i'm led right below an old digging spot, where someone from the past pulled ore from the vein. I could use any advice as to what I can do, and if it can be profitable?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They might go for more than 30'! What you see on the surface is far from the extent of the vein. They could go for thousands of feet underground.

What you should do is first GPS the locations, then visit the BLM to see if the area is claimed. If is NOT, then go back and break up some of the vein. Take samples of rock from a few different places in each vein, marking the bags so you can get back to that vein later.
Take these samples and either have them assayed (I see your doing that), or take along a mortar & pestal to do your own sampling. Crush up the ore with this thing until it's a fine powder, then pan it out to see if there's any gold in it.
If you find any gold, test a few more spots on the same vein. If your still finding gold, take a nice chunk of the vein and have it assayed. If it turns out 1/2 an ounce to the ton AU or more you should be able to work it profitably. You'll need some tools though. Hard rock mining is hard work.

If you do find a vein worth working you might be able to get someone to either partner with you and provide their equipment, or you can get a loan for the equipment, or maybe you can rent it from someone. Finding a paying vein is the first step though. This is what I'm doing right now! ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HO Djui / Dowser: 1/2 Oz = $325 Us. three men can knock out 5 tons a day with hand tools = $1625 gross, say 2/ 3 for $1083+ net = $45 per hr. each, yes it could be nice. But remember, I am referring to a vein wide enough to work profitably. Reduce the Au value by anything less that 4 -5 ft in width. For tonage produced per day. I.E. 5 ft wide tunnel by 5" vein, = Au value / 12 = per ton of rock mined.

$ 325/12= $ 27 a ton.

Tropical Tramp

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
HO Djui / Dowser: 1/2 Oz = $325 Us. three men can knock out 5 tons a day with hand tools = $1625 gross, say 2/ 3 for $1083+ net = $45 per hr. each, yes it could be nice. But remember, I am referring to a vein wide enough to work profitably. Reduce the Au value by anything less that 4 -5 ft in width. For tonage produced per day. I.E. 5 ft wide tunnel by 5" vein, = Au value / 12 = per ton of rock mined.

$ 325/12= $ 27 a ton.

Tropical Tramp

First off, most areas with assays that high are already claimed. Second, $45 an hour sounds nice but you forgot to mention anything about how long it takes to crush and process the gold bearing ore... Like 4 times as much... That takes it down to $10 an hour. Then factor in food, gas and equipment costs and it could take weeks of backbreaking labour by hand, JUST TO BREAK EVEN.

Not to shatter a pretty picture or anything :)

However, I work a site with lode gold ( very fine mineral gold and the rare quartz nuggety vein) and I can tell you, it's nice to know for sure that the rocks you are getting DO contain gold.

-FiresEye

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
The easy money would be to find your vein, get a claim on it, get professional help to get core samples, geology reports, etc to get a general idea of the extent of your find THEN sell the claim to someone who is equipped to do that type of work professionally and walk away with a pocketful of 100 dollar bills :headbang:

Its nice to see someone who does dowsing using that skill for obvious profit. Kind of like the old saying: How come a psychic never wins the lottery?

-Lance

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
http://www.goldplacer.com/hardrockgold.htm a very basic short paper.Lot's more to that quartz stuff than appers in the paper.You learn as you go and if your very persistant..you might get lucky.One thing for sure though,if you give up,quit..you get nothing.I'd answer any ???? about things I know and have done over the past 35 years..Just a half assed- quartz vein sampler-prospector with a little luck now and then.You might also ask a fellow by the moniker of 29Prospector over on the Arizona gold forums.

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
dave wiseman said:
http://www.goldplacer.com/hardrockgold.htm a very basic short paper.Lot's more to that quartz stuff than appers in the paper.You learn as you go and if your very persistant..you might get lucky.One thing for sure though,if you give up,quit..you get nothing.I'd answer any ???? about things I know and have done over the past 35 years..Just a half assed- quartz vein sampler-prospector with a little luck now and then.You might also ask a fellow by the moniker of 29Prospector over on the Arizona gold forums.
Dave,
That is a very nice artical!
Bunk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread