Looking for help on the ID of this item (pin-broach)

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I was out Sat. with Mirage checking out some spots looking for cellar holes. One we found had coins nearby that were out of sync with the foundation's apparent age. Nearby at greater depth I pulled this thing.

Anyone seen one like it or know it's age (PBK?)
DSCF2653.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2656.jpg

Bob and I both think that it might be worth clearing the iron from the front of this spot. The cellarhole was very large and very old.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Looking for help IDing age of this item (pin-broach)

It looks pre-Victorian to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Looking for help IDing age of this item (pin-broach)

johnnyi said:
It looks pre-Victorian to me.
What makes you say that Johnny?

We're trying to get an idea of the age of this site.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ribbon on top is soooooo typical of the Hepplewhite era of furniture, which was circa 1750. Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Breezie said:
The ribbon on top is soooooo typical of the Hepplewhite era of furniture, which was circa 1750. Breezie

I have looked at some work by Hepplewhite and you're right, his work had a lot of similar ribbon flourishes, etc.

Hopefully someone will have seen another representative example of this broach for helping narrow it down.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late Victorian (Art Nouveau) oval sash pin.

1890 - 1905ish

DCMatt

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is fancy enough for the Victorian era. My WAG would be early to mid 1800's. (1790-1840)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
The cellarhole was found using a map from 1900. The type of foundations stones though indicate a MUCH older home than that. Several standing homes in the same area have similar foundations and are dated to 1820.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DCMatt said:

1890 - 1905ish

DCMatt

I can post a half dozen or more pics of similar oval sash pins if you like. They were immensely popular in the late 19th c.

Sometimes the pieces don't fit at a site. I was digging an 1820's - 30's lumber camp last year and out popped a 1946 Washington quarter. Unexpected, but undeniable...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DCMatt said:
DCMatt said:

1890 - 1905ish

DCMatt

I can post a half dozen or more pics of similar oval sash pins if you like. They were immensely popular in the late 19th c.

Sometimes the pieces don't fit at a site. I was digging an 1820's - 30's lumber camp last year and out popped a 1946 Washington quarter. Unexpected, but undeniable...

DCMatt

The design is all wrong for Victorian era, but it fits well the late colonial to early Federal period. As well, the remains of the pin is thick and older style. Beyond that, this is a broach, not a sash pin.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[/b]The design is all wrong for Victorian era, but it fits well the late colonial to early Federal period. As well, the remains of the pin is thick and older style. Beyond that, this is a broach, not a sash pin.
I agree with Johnny. The ribbon is typical of Hepplewhite (c.1750) which would put it right between Colonial and early Federal. Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Thanks for your help folks. After quite a bit of searching, the only things I have seen that have similar design details were a few Colonial era shoe buckles. I know this isn't a shoe buckle, but as a brooch it seems to maybe have a center part missing?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Danimal said:
Thanks for your help folks. After quite a bit of searching, the only things I have seen that have similar design details were a few Colonial era shoe buckles. I know this isn't a shoe buckle, but as a brooch it seems to maybe have a center part missing?
After looking at this item again, it does have similar qualities to one of my relic shoe buckles (pre-1830). It could be a shawl or cloak brooch. The one pictured below is circa 1900.

CA093E.JPG

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I may be back at this site this weekend, and I remember exactly where the brooch was dug, so I just might widen that hole up and search a bit to see if there may be a cut cameo or other non-metallic piece that went with it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions