Copper Coin

Still Waters

Nov 12, 2009
Hello,

I am at my wits end trying to identify this coin. I think I can see a woman's head facing right, but maybe I am way off. On the reverse there are some details visible, but not many. I am hoping that there is enough left to get an ID on this one. I have tried to highlight the details I can see as well as I possible could. The coin is 25mm in diameter and 6.4 grams in weight.

Thank you,
Still Waters

Attachments

• odd copper.JPG
    odd copper.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 347
Can you give us an idea where it was found? Possible age of the site? Other coins or relics found near it? It might help narrow down whether we're looking for a colonial copper or a foreign coin.

Upvote 0
If I had a clue what origin this might bear I would be better able to direct a search myself. I am hoping someone has seen this or something similar before. It possibly could be a state copper, but if not it is probably foreign. Based on the composition and size I would speculate it is pre 1900, but more likely pre 1850. Heck, it could even be pre 1700, I really have no idea what age this might be.
Still Waters

Upvote 0
Virginia Halfpenny.

Your second pic you can see the 17 in the date, both tips of the shield at the closest point to the date, and the two you outlined ...part of the straight line in the shield running across the center, and the left side of the shield.

I knew your bust outline was incorrect so paid no attention to it, would be out of proportion for a halfpenny size coin. :-X

Attachments

• 14724_0018_1_lg.jpg
    14724_0018_1_lg.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 256
  • dd1.jpg
    dd1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 14724_0018_1_lg.jpg
    14724_0018_1_lg.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 248
  • dd1.jpg
    dd1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Virginia Halfpenny.

Your second pic you can see the 17 in the date, both tips of the shield at the closest point to the date, and the two you outlined ...part of the straight line in the shield running across the center, and the left side of the shield.

I knew your bust outline was incorrect so paid no attention to it, would be out of proportion for a halfpenny size coin. :-X

Good Eye, IP!!

Upvote 0
Wow, for some odd reason this possability did not even come to mind. Thank you Iron Patch for the ID. I have long enjoyed reading your posts - you are an inspiration. I greatly appreciate your eye on this one. Even now I cannot see the 17, but the sheild outlines are unmistakable. Wow, I am stunned.

Still Waters

Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
Wow, for some odd reason this possability did not even come to mind. Thank you Iron Patch for the ID. I have long enjoyed reading your posts - you are an inspiration. I greatly appreciate your eye on this one. Even now I cannot see the 17, but the sheild outlines are unmistakable. Wow, I am stunned.

Still Waters

A Virginia was actually still pretty Fresh in my mind. It's probably not the first thing you would think of, because it's probably better than you figured it would be.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285293.0.html

If you look at the top left portion of the shield that almost touches the "1", the 17 is fairly clear on your coin, just a little distorted by corrosion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back