devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I am a Relic hunter from Georgia. I have been hunting off and on for just over 30 years. I presently own and use the Whites MXT All PRO and I'm happy with this detector. It has found some relics in areas hunted really hard over the years by many different make and model of detectors. The coils I have for the MXT are the Ultimate 13' coil. the 10' D2 coil, and the 6' shooter coil. I would not part with the MXT. As we all know, we as hunters are always looking for a detector that could possibly give you an edge on depth. I have been thinking of trying the Minelab Safari. My question, is if the Minelab Safari would be any better as far as depth than the MXT? I have had trouble finding anyone that has used these two detectors for relic hunting in order for a comparison between the two detectors. The Minelab GPX series is reportedly a killer for relics, but it is also a little out of my budget. If I went with a Minelab, it would probably be the Safari model. Any help regarding this would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would wait for the new Equinox, from what I've heard the Safari requires a slower sweep speed. There are going to be 2 versions (600 & 800) unless you do any prospecting the 600 sounds like a good choice for you since it is to be priced below $700.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While the Minelab Safari is a great metal detector, I believe it is taking a slight step down from the White's MXT All Pro! If you are wanting more depth, then I would recommend getting a Minelab E-Trac which should get you a little more depth but with a Minelab CTX-3030, you can gain a lot of depth. The learning curve on the CTX-3030 is a little harder to learn over the E-Trac or MXT All Pro but there are lots of videos and help tips online as well as custom programs for specific types of hunting you want to do. It also helps that Minelab provides periodic updates to the software and programs for the CTX-3030 which should keep it ahead of the game compared to some other metal detectors. Don't get me wrong, I love White's Metal Detectors but for the money, the Minelab CTX-3030 is the way to go and not break the Bank.

Frank

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huntsman and LocoDigger, Thanks for your comments on this. What surprises me about the Safari is that while there are quite a few videos on Utube on the Safari, there are very few of the Safari being used for relic hunting. The Safari has a relic mode, but most videos are of the Safari coin or jewelery hunting. Makes one wonder. I too have been looking at the Minelab Equinox, but being brand new, I don't know if the 800 model would be a good set up for relics. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks again for your input.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
The Safari is a FSB unit,really a basic Explorer.I've used Minelabs for over 10 years,an Explorer and a CTX.They are the best park silver units you can have.All the the Minelab units are about equal in depth,they vary in features.All require slower swings in dense trash areas.I've found close to 2000 silver coins with the Minelabs .I used a Whites M-6 before I got the Explorer,decent unit but no comparison to the Minelabs as a turf hunter.Now for relics,you should look for a lighter ,faster machine like a Deus or a F-75,where discrimination in modern trash is not an issue but iron is or you could wait for the new Equinox and see how that shakes out.Good Luck!

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Lil' Tom. I really like the Whites MXT PRO. It is good relic hunting unit, I guess I was nust looking to see if a Safari would have any more depth. With the Ultimate 13' coil, my MXT is a deep reading MD. I have been happy with the MXT and would not plan on replacing it. I appreciate the feedback. Always good to hear from folks that have both used and are familiar with products.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know anything about the Minelab Equinox but if you go that route, then the 800 Model is likely better than the 600. Also, one would hope that it is capable of getting program and software updates from Minelab because it is so compact, it likely has a limited amount of program/software storage.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions