Looking for ID...any ideas

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this while looking for interesting stones for my tumbler in the Muskegon River here in Michigan. I'm a newbie at this but I'm getting hooked more by the day. The colors in the pics are pretty close and it's the wide non-crystaline layers inside that I find interesting as well as the light, almost white outer color. Any guesses? I tested hardness on the smooth layer and it won't scratch with a knife but does scratch (barely) with quartz. Is it a shale of some kind? Thanks, Jim.

Attachments

• gray stone 001 (Small).jpg
    gray stone 001 (Small).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 324
  • gray stone 002 (Small).jpg
    gray stone 002 (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 318
  • gray stone 003 (Small).jpg
    gray stone 003 (Small).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 313
  • gray stone 004 (Small).jpg
    gray stone 004 (Small).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 320

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hi Jim!
yep, it's chert. Dark chert is flint. And red chert is jasper. Add agate to the mix as well.

I live on the Indiana/Michigan border and have my share of chert. I almost used "chert in the dirt" as my user name :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jglunt

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I've got a lot to learn about id'ing all the rocks around here and I learn something new just about every day. I sure wish this area had gemstone deposits but it's fun anyway. I did try to strike a spark on steel with a piece of it the Chert but was unsuccessful. maybe I just didn't do it right. I'll throw some in the Tumbler and see how it polishes up.

Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread